From Fresh to Salt Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seranko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys,

I have a 75 Gallon tank with 4 discus and plants on it, but I want to change it to saltwater. Took me 2 years to have the tank in good shape but I want something different.

The equipment I already have is :

1 75 Gallon Tank
1 Canister Fluval 404 filter
1 DIY Wet/Dry filter with bio-balls and a 700 GPH pump
2 heaters 250 Watts each
1 complete pressurized CO2 system with a automatic PH control
4 55 Watt Bright Kit (AHsupply) with 4 5500K compact fluorescents bulbs.

What else do I need ??? Where I can start ???

Thanks,

Serankko

It depends on what kind of tank you'd like to set up. The first thing I'd do is get a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. This is a great book that is full of useful info for beginners and "old salts" alike. It will detail the different setups and what you need for them. Nitrates are more of a concern in SW than in FW...especially if you have inverts. The filtration system you have tends to produce more nitrates than natural LR filtration. You'll need a skimmer. You'll probably also want to change two of your light bulbs to actinics. You could use the C02 system in conjunction with a calcium reactor, but I'd wait a while before getting into that. SW isn't really more difficult, but there are some differences.

Well, for a 75gallon tank...expect to spend big money. Figure $400 for live rock. $200-$300 for a nice skimmer. You have enough lighting for a Fish Only with Live Rock tank (FOWLR) but if you wanted a reef tank, you'd need some actinic03 bulbs, and probably have to add another 2x55w bulbs (depending on if you wanted high light corals).

I wouldn't use the wet/dry filter. Use the fluval but only run carbon it in...your live rock IS your filter.

I'm not trying to scare you out of saltwater...I'm trying to prepare you for the sticker price of a 75gallon reef tank. The tank and stand end up being the cheaper purchases for a reef setup.

I also have a 75gal. I recommend you get the AquaC Remora skimmer for about $165, and a Coralife Turbo Twister 9W UV Sterilizer for about $79. BTW, what are you planning on doing with the 4 discus?

I'd go all the way to the Remora Pro for a 75. I run a UV on my mom's pond (more for fish visibility than natural look), but wouldn't consider it on a SW tank. Skimmer comes first :)

Back
Top Bottom