Frozen vs Flake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have heard from my LFS both sides

One guys swears by flake says its better for the tank its cleaner and the fish grow fine

Another one says that frozen is better and flake is high in phosphates etc

Hope the experts would chime in

wish I new how to do a poll cause would like to see the results

I have never had experience with flakes in saltwater as I feed my cardinals and clowns pellets/frozen and my mandarin get frozen brine. In fresh water, I could never feed the right amount of flakes so I was always over feeding and the water clouded up. The only problem I have with frozen is the menhaden oil/proteins that the frozen food is frozen/stored in always floats to the top and creates an oily layer at the top which goes away as soon as my powerheads and skimmer go back on (surface agitation).

I feed all of the above at different times to my tank. All types of foods have issues with phosphate release, etc into the water. The key is to not overfeed and to rinse the frozen stuff before feeding it.

The key to feeding is variety. I feed frozen, Flake and freeze dried. Flake and frozen have phosphates in them.

I feed flake, pellets, and frozen. I offer fron every 3rd day. Also I offer dried seaweed in a clip since I have a tang, and flame angle that are always looking for more things to nibble on. I use caution when feeding flake. I have always gone by the rule of thumb to only feed what they can eat in 60 seconds. If I notice that they is food left over I know to use less next time. Also, I have found that the little that might drop to the substrate is eaten up by my cleaning crew.

Variaty is the spice of life. I feed all types of food, flake, frozen, fresh and homemade + dry and fresh seaweeds and kelp.

I feed all types as well. Flakes do tend to have more phosphates, but frozen dose have some, but you can rinse most of it out in RO/DI.

Back
Top Bottom