Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Frustrated

I hear one mantis on one side of my tank, and one on the other. I haven't seen them, but I know they are there. I set traps , I sit I watch I can not catch them! I have thought about just dipping the rock, but won't I lose the life on/in it? I also have I hairy redish and cream colored crab that I want out of there! I might not mind reconstructing the rock again because I was going to get a few more pieces from hirocks.com. Plus my anemone is inflating and deflating. I've had it since this summer and it's always looked great, now I don't know whats going on.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

no need to submerge the whole rock imo if you know were he is just use a turkey baster and squirt water into it he will come out

Old 01-19-2005, 12:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats the thing, I don't know which hole they are in. There are definately more than one, but I am clueless to how many and I can not see them. But I hear the clicking all the time now, even in the daytime. we saw 2 the night of the party and we caught the larger one...so I know at least one is in there for sure...they just aren't poking there heads anymore out like the last one did. I know which rock it is, but each are about 30#'s each and covered in holes.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

do you have another tank ya could put the rock into and watch for the little guy ? would make it easier that way for sure ! i feel your pain though
Old 01-19-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was reading just last night about QT'ing Live Rock. The author (Anthony Calfo) suggested using egg-crate resting on PVC piers and a bare bottom tank. Put your rock on the egg-crate and place a piece of meat, such as shrimp, on the bottom of the QT tank. Watch to see what picks at the shrimp, and then remove any bad critters. I hadn't heard of this method before, but it might be something to try.
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is a great idea. The Calfo book may have to be my next addition to the library. Is that his book on caral propagation?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I definately understand your frustration. I have had a mantis in my tank for about 2 years....no way to get him out. I have about 350 pounds of LR in the tank...no way to QT all that rock.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com