Frustrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I hear one mantis on one side of my tank, and one on the other. I haven't seen them, but I know they are there. I set traps , I sit I watch I can not catch them! I have thought about just dipping the rock, but won't I lose the life on/in it? I also have I hairy redish and cream colored crab that I want out of there! I might not mind reconstructing the rock again because I was going to get a few more pieces from hirocks.com. Plus my anemone is inflating and deflating. I've had it since this summer and it's always looked great, now I don't know whats going on.

no need to submerge the whole rock imo if you know were he is just use a turkey baster and squirt water into it he will come out :)

Thats the thing, I don't know which hole they are in. There are definately more than one, but I am clueless to how many and I can not see them. But I hear the clicking all the time now, even in the daytime. we saw 2 the night of the party and we caught the larger one...so I know at least one is in there for sure...they just aren't poking there heads anymore out like the last one did. I know which rock it is, but each are about 30#'s each and covered in holes. :roll:

do you have another tank ya could put the rock into and watch for the little guy ? would make it easier that way for sure ! i feel your pain though :)

I was reading just last night about QT'ing Live Rock. The author (Anthony Calfo) suggested using egg-crate resting on PVC piers and a bare bottom tank. Put your rock on the egg-crate and place a piece of meat, such as shrimp, on the bottom of the QT tank. Watch to see what picks at the shrimp, and then remove any bad critters. I hadn't heard of this method before, but it might be something to try.

That is a great idea. The Calfo book may have to be my next addition to the library. Is that his book on caral propagation?

I definately understand your frustration. I have had a mantis in my tank for about 2 years....no way to get him out. I have about 350 pounds of LR in the tank...no way to QT all that rock. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom