Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Frustrated

I have had a saltwater tank up for about 1.5 years now, granted I have moved the water, rocks & fish around. First was a 55, realized it was to small, moved everything to a 150, realized it was to small, moved everything to 180, realized didn't have enough equipment to run this, LR, water movement and the sort. Now back down to a 75, all I have left is a snowflake eel and a vlion, and a humma trigger, who resides in the first 55. All this time I have fought ich, and some other stuff I don't know what it was. I have killed a dogface puffer, porc puffer, valantine puffer, longnose butterfly, mandrine, I think that is it. Is it time to stop killing fish, and go back to fresh?
A little discourged would be a understatement at this point. Am I just moving to fast? Maybe someone can help me out here.
Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your time.

Old 05-25-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry to hear wat happen to all those fish, and I sure feel your pain.However, you might be doing too much to the tank and increased the stress lvl of your fish.
The more you put your hands into the water and moving structure or even changing new tank will scare the fish for sometime and their immunity will go downwards.Also, a new tank suppose to cycle for at least a month i suppose, if you didn't dothat it might also the reason why your fish are dying.
As what you can really do, maybe try to look over the internet before purechasing a fish, gather enough info for it and right before you buy it, ask the LFS one more time just to ensure your reaserch.That will at least cut down 90% of your problem on "tank is not big enough",therefore cut down the chances that you need to move everything to a new tank and save money =)
HTH. Gl

oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I cant believe you killed a porc puffer 8O Those things will live in a ditch The butterfly i can see but a porc 8O Those are one of most hardy fish you can have
Old 05-25-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say do not quit now. Sometimes you need to just sit down, look at what you have, and think it over.

With a marine tank, patience is the key. You have done multiple tank swaps in a realitively short ammount of time. Each one of these is a large stress to the system and can not be taken lightly. Remember that each time you change something in a tank, you can also screw something up. It is better to make small changes slowly over time then to make huge changes at once.

Why don't you post your tank setup? Post all the lifeforms in the tank, equipment being used (lights, filters, skimmer, overflows...), how much LR is in the tank, clean up crew etc, etc... Then let us know what you think is wrong with the tank currently. Once we know what you have and any possible problems, we can help you out more.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:19 PM   #5

thanks everyone, thats why I got the porc puffer, was told and read that they could live through anything, don't know for sure what happened.
Right now I have a 75g-right now the only thing in it is a v-lion & a snowflake eel. I have a seaclone skimmer, regular florecent lights, and 2 1200 maxijet powerheads. there is probably around 80-100 pounds of liverock, sand substrate. I have a uv turbo twist x somthing on the way, should be here tomorrow. Don't know if I even need it or not. There are about 10 hermit crabs, 10 turbo snails, and I don't know how many littler snails. thats about it. Everytime something happens to the tank, I get different advice from different sources. gets alittle confussing.
hope we can get something figured out.
Well anyway thanks for everyones comments.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to kukki
id just stick to a tank size if possible for as long as you can hold out for... im new to aquariums period and im working on my 29gal, i really would already love to get a bigger tank but because of money / space issues, im glad i cant lol

i have my first 3 fish in there now.. they seem to be doing great, but i know im way not ready for anything else or moving them or anything like that, id just say dont give up and keep reading, i know i always am

id add another maxi jet 12 or 900 , or a sump .. and you didnt say you had a heater.. im sure you prolly do ! but if not id add one as well... even if your temp stays pretty high at times in the room.. its a good backup at least.. a 20 gal or so (correct me if im wrong here lol).. a 20g or bigger sump / fuge with a nice pump and over flow, would help out alot...
Old 05-25-2005, 10:08 PM   #7

I do have a heater, sorry for not adding that in. I have thought about the sump idea, but just got more confussed on how to go about it. What would adding a sump do for me? Does anyone have a website or something that has some good directions?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to kukki
adding a sump would give you added water volume for one, which is always a good thing, helps keep water more stable ...

it keeps your water level in your tank the same all of the time, it will never be lower than you set it, even with evaporation it will only lower the level in the sump, not tank

its a place to put things like a heater or a skimmer or things you want to hide

you can make part of it a refuge and grow things there, such as micro algae

there are alot of benefits and for some reason i cant name them lol.. im just drawing this big blank ..... someone else will add in everything im sure

just search google or on these forums there are alot of ideas and discussion, i think im just in lazy mode today and my brain isnt workin
Old 05-25-2005, 11:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

don't give up. just keep coming here for all your help and questions u have. the people here are awesome and they will try to help as much as they can, I really can't help much i'm still new to the sw thing, but i come here every day and read post and learn something new every day
Old 05-25-2005, 11:26 PM   #10

I don't think I am going to give up just yet anyway. Just about to hit my limit on bad information, and the such. I fought ich for about a month and a half, thought I had it beat, put the fish in the tank and am back fighting it again. I did hypo, that is the reason for uv steralizer. It seems like everyone has a different method thought I had this beat. Thought maybe someone could see something wrong with my tank. I have a 300g pond w/ doviis, a 180 with redbelly piranhas, 150 w/ discuss and assorted plecos. never had as much trouble with the discuss as I seem to have with the salt tank. Just hope someone seems something I haven't.
Thanks for everyones comments.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com