Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2004, 11:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

sorry but the dream was so surreal. i fall asleep thinking about a bigger tank most every night
i still think it was the lemon juice. did you notice if the the juice moved towards the clam after your injection misshap? when i put 2 mls of invertjuice into the tank a big cloud moves accross the tank. this is because i put the stuff in the direct flow of the pumps. in about a minute the cloud disipates.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:04 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey
Heres something i learned about corals not opening. A month and a half ago i got my first refractometry. For the first year i always used a deep six hydrometer. And had no problems with tanks.Then slowly my corals were not opening all the way. I could not figure it out .I spent allot of money on different test kits to confirm the others. But never gave it a thought that the hydrometer could be off. To make a long story short . I decided to give a refractometer a shot so i bought one. My salt levels were way high. As soon as i started lowering it my corals started to open again.( I always cleaned my hydrometer to) .

Hope this helps someone........ Dewey

Old 03-22-2004, 01:42 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought a new skimmer (aqua remora pro) which has been running more than one month. It skims great. I also have GAC, just replaced it during the crisis. No cukes. It just seems so weird to have crashed so suddenly, it has been running for 10 months now.

The clam is on the opposite side of the tank, but I have a lot of current in it.

Nothing else is new with my maintence routine. 8O I am type "A" and check my levels every week as well as do a weekly 10 % change. Nitrates have not gotten above 4 mg/L ever.
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:45 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

A refractometer is not a bad idea.
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:25 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
A refractometer is not a bad idea.
No, it's not, but I doubt salinity is the cause of your issues. I am at a loss for what the cause was, but I would think the salinity would have had to spike rather quickly to effect your livestock in such a drastic manner.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
It;'s possible that the leather nuked your other corals
How can a leather nuke other corals? Does it release toxins?

Jim
Old 03-22-2004, 01:32 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
How can a leather nuke other corals? Does it release toxins?
Yes, all soft coral use chemical toxins as defense (terpenes) leathers tend to produce the most noxious of the chemicals, probably one of the reasons they are so prolific. They are easily handles by protien skimming and use of GAC, so it usually isn't an issue unless you aren't doing either.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com