Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2004, 04:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Frustrated, what now???

I put in a post about a week ago about losing all of my corals, even my clam. I am not sure what was the cause. My fish and shrooms are all fine. All of my papameters are good except calc= 350 and alk=10-11. I do not know why the low levels, I use sea lab cubes and reef builder to maintain levels. I recently increased the amounts of both to raise the levels.

I did a 50% water change over the past week with no improvement. (my leather is not opening his polyps) I also have a bad case of slime algae and some hair algae as well. The cyano started when my skimmer broke and seems to be going strong in spite of all efforts to remove it.

What is going on? I am so frustrated, I can not add anything to my tank until I figure this out. The only thing I have changed is I ordered a new bucket of salt (tropic marin). I have never used any water except RO.

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 05:37 PM   #2
steve-s

Could you provide a link to the Sea labs product or some additional info. Usually these "all in one" products are not all their cracked up to be. They can definately cause large increases in unnecessary elements that IMO cause more harm than good.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-21-2004, 08:31 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
The only thing I have changed is I ordered a new bucket of salt (tropic marin). I have never used any water except RO.
Have you actually used the salt? How did you switch?

I remember this occurred after trying to nuke your aips with lemon juice...I know you told me what lemon juice you used, but could you post the brand name again.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used "RealLemon". I have been using the same salt, I just got a new bucket.
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
Old 03-21-2004, 10:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.DrsFosterSmith.com/Produc...565&in_merch=1

Here is the link, Can you suggest another additive? I tried Bionic but it never seemed to budge my levels much. I would have to add a lot of it I guess, AND do it everyday. I was trying to find to an "easy "way.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:29 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I think steve meant to the sealab blocks, I assume your using sealab 28 blocks. Personally, I do not believe that they dissolve based on need as they "supposedly" do. If they did, waterflow would have no effect on the way they dissolve and too much flow and they dissolve too quickly. I have never heard of one killing anyones corals before.

Was there anything going on in the neighborhood or in the house around the time they went south? It could be the lemon juice, but I would think it would have had to be caused by actually injecting or spraying the corals and clams with it, or doing so much at one time that it had a serious impact on your tank's ph.

Old 03-21-2004, 10:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

this is off subject.
last night i had a dream that i went to the zoo. and they had a clam. a real big one. and then for some reason i got lemon juice in the tank and it got on the clam. not knowing what to do i quickly grabed the clam and pulled it out of the water. i could smell the lemon juice on it and wanted to get it out. so i put the clam to my mouth and started started to blow into its "clam hole" (boy that sounds raunchy) to flush the lemon juice out. but instead i noticed that it tasted good. real good. so i took a bite. just like the sushi bar mmm mmm. and another bite. until i had eaten. the whole thing. i got caught and they through me out of the zoo.
sorry but i had totaly forgotten about the dream until i started reading this post so i had to share it.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

this is on subject.
what if the lemon juice got directly on the clam and was inhaled. would it not have the same effect as it does on aiptasia?
if the lemon juice was in the direct flow of water and the next stop was clam?

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 11:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

The clam died 2 days after the lemon juice incident. Maybe something got into my makeup water. Nothing else had changed. I can not figure it out. I am obviously not going to add anything to the tank for awhile. My leather is still closed as is my tubinara. I do not know how to tell if the tubinara is dead. It looks like a scroll coral, so the polyps are tiny and I have not seen them for awhile. I would think if the conditions were better the leather would open. He has been slimey a lot lately due to the stress...could this kill the clam? Also my open brain looks awesome?!!? Go figure!

What now? Should I do normal 10% water changes every week?

What additives do you recommend? How do you adjust for changes in either ALK or CA if using a 2 part additive?

I dream about my tank a lot.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:49 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Tell me about what is running your tank. You mentioned your skimmer was not working, had you received a replacement and been running it? Do you run GAC (if not I would be fright now for sure). It;'s possible that the leather nuked your other corals, also do you have any cukes?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com