Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Frustrating anemone

Has anyone else ever had a nem that just cannot settle? Over the past month, my rose BTA has moved every day, in a giant circle on this huge rock in the center of the tank. He did it when I ran a 150w MH, and still did it when I changed to 6x39 T5. He looks fine, eats well, but is driving me nuts from having to worry he will kill everything in his path. He sucked up to a zoo frag 2 days ago, we had to play a VERY gentle game of tug of war to free it. Any suggestions? Should I move him to a rock that is lower, or rearrange rocks to raise him up? This one is just under the halfway point, about 12-14 inches from the lights. Thanks!!!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to DA fisherman
It could be the flow..it should be moderate to low flow check on that.
They should only move when the feel it uncomfortable.
Like: not enough lights,to much flow,
If the tank is to hot...

Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree, nems only move when they are searching for something, be it light, flow or temp or any number of things they want and need.

How old is your tank? What lights do you currently have and how big is the tank?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #4

It's a 3 year old tank, I got it a month ago from someone else, moved it all and set it back up using the same water, made no changes other than lighting. I originally had a 150 watt 10k MH pendant but it only lit 1/3 of the tank, so I upgraded 3 weeks ago to the nova extreme pro 6x39 t5's 10k and actinic, plus a marineland singlebright led, white and blue. Water tests consistently in normal range except a couple elevated Trates last week but I've done 2 pwc's since then and they're back to around 5.

Now that you mention flow, I bet that's it, the rock sits in the center of the tank, one PH points up at the rear the other points up at the center, so it might hit him on both directions. He settled yesterday on a corner and is hanging there now. I doubt he will stay, he can't really hunker down in anywhere...

Thanks guys!!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #5

Whoops forgot to say it's a 40 gal tank. Brain fart!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

He may need to just used to the new light You say the old one only lit 1/3 of the tank was he under the old light was he moving around before the change it might just need to adjust to the brighter lights maybee a shaded place for him to hide untill he can get used to things
Sry reread 1st post seen he was moving before try adjusting the PH's a bit or turning one off

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com