Fuge Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just ordered the bulk head I need to transform a 19 gallon rubbermaid into a fuge. I was planning on just having sand and dead coral to attach the cheato to on a 24 hour light schedule.

Anyone have a better suggestion (besides more LR which I'm not planning on)

This is going to be used to grow chaeto and help the hair algae battle.

I have a 10g container with sand, chaeto & caulerpa in it. No rock at all yet. I installed 2 bulkhead fittings in there with returns back to my sump so that i had a safe second, just in case the first one wasn't enough. As it turns out, it wasn't really enough because the water does hit the very bottom of the second overflow out of the fuge. My input pump is just a little on the high side, I think, but it is a really tiny pump. As a safe second (third?! LOL) I've also got a shut off valve in there (thanks Darin @ CaptiveReefs). It is working well. I've had it setup for about a month now. My trates run a steady 7 with it. I also run mine on a 24hr light schedule, though I don't think you need to do that with just chaeto. It won't go sexual on you so running it opposite your tank would probably do well to keep your pH super stable. Good luck with the hair algae battle!

I have found that the rubbermaid containers after a year or so in salt water seem to get fragile. if you bump it too hard or moving a rock or something it just might break it.

Just a possible warning.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom