fuge substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just thought I would kinda put and end to all this. You can put whatever you want in your sump, sand, dsb, mud, whatever you want. In the long run with such a small fuge u would see no relative difference in your tank. The smart thing to do if you really want a dsb is to put it in your main tank then in the fuge put in some mud and fill it with macro algae. ( I have not read the whole thread only the last few post) I have a 10gal sump on my 60gal tank. All it is used for is to have macro algae...with pwc and Weekly maintenance the only filtration you "really need" is live rock and a skimmer. Just my two cents worth

I definately agree my main thought was that I have a thirty long so six gallons proportionally is like having a twenty five gallon fuge section on a hundred gallon tank so even though its small it seems like it would definately have an impact

I would just fill it with macro algae and live rock rubble to take out excess phosphates and nitrates. do like a pree filter like a filter sock or sponge then macro algae then return to tank. dsb are really for larger tanks. Ie 50gal and up and tanks that are well established. It takes months to establish a dsb.

slitherbomb said:
How can dsb be for established tanks? You should put a dsb from the start so it can establish.

Lol I did not word it right. By established tanks I was referring to the time it takes to fully establish a dsb. Ie established tanks.

Yeah that's what I thought you meant lol. If you have chaeto algae and lr in a fuge, then what would be the point of a dsb?

More filtration i guess... Like I said in reality the only filtration somebody would need is liverock a good protein skimmer good flow and pwc. Everything else is just or good measure and to allow the tank owner to per say "slack" a little on the weekly maintenance. lol

uscamaro said:
:facepalm: Calm down bro

We must have different people who we see as veterans. Here's my definition: someone who's had years of experience in the field and has provided credible input and answers to other members; melosu58 (who previously posted) is one of these people. If you were on this forum longer than a month, you'd know who they are.

I'm sorry if I came off as angry, I'm not. Just trying to clarify a point, and even though I've only been a member for a month, I've probably read every post since this forum started. I was using a computer at my work and unable to become an active member until I got my Android phone which had an app. Now I can finally participate.
For those of you who are asking for more info on the method I use, read this article. http://www.athiel.com/lib7/lengsy.htm
It's old, but explains in short Miracle Mud (or mud pre miracle name) and the ecosystem method. Since I started reefing years ago, I kept getting more and more machines to create an artificial reef ecosystem. Massive skimmers phosphate reactors etc, when a simple mud and fuge system created a healthier environment. I still say add the mud, even a little will make a difference. I have to admit, if I wouldn't have seen his tanks in person, I wouldn't have tried his method with mud either. But I'm glad I did. I think the name Miracle mud sends warning signs, but after using it for years, I think the name fits. Just messy to initially put in and it's pricey. Last, Leng Sy will answer calls during business hours, he's always been more then helpful with me. Try his method.

dabeyta3 said:
I'm sorry if I came off as angry, I'm not. Just trying to clarify a point, and even though I've only been a member for a month, I've probably read every post since this forum started. I was using a computer at my work and unable to become an active member until I got my Android phone which had an app. Now I can finally participate.
For those of you who are asking for more info on the method I use, read this article. http://www.athiel.com/lib7/lengsy.htm
It's old, but explains in short Miracle Mud (or mud pre miracle name) and the ecosystem method. Since I started reefing years ago, I kept getting more and more machines to create an artificial reef ecosystem. Massive skimmers phosphate reactors etc, when a simple mud and fuge system created a healthier environment. I still say add the mud, even a little will make a difference. I have to admit, if I wouldn't have seen his tanks in person, I wouldn't have tried his method with mud either. But I'm glad I did. I think the name Miracle mud sends warning signs, but after using it for years, I think the name fits. Just messy to initially put in and it's pricey. Last, Leng Sy will answer calls during business hours, he's always been more then helpful with me. Try his method.

Pictures? Show is better than tell.

Back
Top Bottom