Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should you do a dsb with the miracle mud? I've also seen positive things said about miracle mud.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I don't fully understand the above post but I'm pretty sure I'm doin the miracle mud

Old 07-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just thought I would kinda put and end to all this. You can put whatever you want in your sump, sand, dsb, mud, whatever you want. In the long run with such a small fuge u would see no relative difference in your tank. The smart thing to do if you really want a dsb is to put it in your main tank then in the fuge put in some mud and fill it with macro algae. ( I have not read the whole thread only the last few post) I have a 10gal sump on my 60gal tank. All it is used for is to have macro algae...with pwc and Weekly maintenance the only filtration you "really need" is live rock and a skimmer. Just my two cents worth
Old 07-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #24

I definately agree my main thought was that I have a thirty long so six gallons proportionally is like having a twenty five gallon fuge section on a hundred gallon tank so even though its small it seems like it would definately have an impact
Old 07-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would just fill it with macro algae and live rock rubble to take out excess phosphates and nitrates. do like a pree filter like a filter sock or sponge then macro algae then return to tank. dsb are really for larger tanks. Ie 50gal and up and tanks that are well established. It takes months to establish a dsb.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #26

I understand. That was pretty much my whole question,should I have a substrate or not and what is the general opinion on a type
Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

How can dsb be for established tanks? You should put a dsb from the start so it can establish.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb
How can dsb be for established tanks? You should put a dsb from the start so it can establish.
Lol I did not word it right. By established tanks I was referring to the time it takes to fully establish a dsb. Ie established tanks.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah that's what I thought you meant lol. If you have chaeto algae and lr in a fuge, then what would be the point of a dsb?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

More filtration i guess... Like I said in reality the only filtration somebody would need is liverock a good protein skimmer good flow and pwc. Everything else is just or good measure and to allow the tank owner to per say "slack" a little on the weekly maintenance. lol

Tags
substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com