Fungia Fragging Disaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megos1

Aquarium Advice Activist
So a few years back I purchased a zoanthid colony that had grown over an acro's skeleton. This little fungia plate sprouted off of the zoanthid colony and started to grow rapidly. Since them I have fragged many off of that same spot when they reach the size of a quarter and they usually snap right off at the base.

A few days ago I tried to remove the most recent fungia and he was much more attached than his ancestors had been ... he snapped perfectly in half! Is it possible for each of the sides to regrow and survive? Each side has 1/2 a mouth and seems to be opening (with the exception of some damaged tissue)

Thanks for the info guys!

Yes, it is possible as long as your water chemistries don't shift. I always recommend shifting water flow towards any damaged or fragged coral to keep the tissue clean while it heals (don't blast the coral).

They look a lot better today. I did what you suggested, moving the flow. They have opened up and the tissue looks like it's trying to heal in a few places.

Thanks!!!:hat:

Back
Top Bottom