Funny colors on rocks..normal??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLIM.2000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys i'm new at all this so please be patiant with me.
I have had my 55g reff ready tank running now for about 2 months. Got live sand that i bought a store and live rock that came from a friends aquarium that he's had for about 1yr. Lighting is two 48" 110w uvl vho super actinic and white actinic bulbs,wet dry filter and motorized skimmer. Had water tested yesterday at aquarium shop everything is o.k. Other tha cal is a little high. My problem is all the green and kind of tanish stuff groing on my rocks. When i first got them they were whiteish and purple now its more green than anything else. Is this normal or should i add or change somthing.. Currently adding bi-onic 1 and 2, stontium,iodine plus. I added some befor and after pics to show the diff colors of the rocks. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 73
Welcome to AA! That's normal. What are your actual readings? SG, Amonia, nitrite, nitrate and PO4?
Your tank is on the new side even with established LR to have an Anemone. I also don't think you have enough light penetration for the anemone. It is at the top so that is good. It will need all the light it can get. Any chance of taking it back and getting one later when your tank is a bit more stable.
What else do you have in your tank?
How many fish and corals if any?

cant rember all the readings.. I know that ph was @ 8.0 nitrate was @ 0, alk was ok, cal was a little high. the bulbs that are there now are about 1 yr old my new ones are in route via ups.. i should have them by tomorrow. will be changing to t5's with posible 1 metal hi-lide in a couple of moths..didnt know those lights were so $$$$..i was also told by a marine biologist i could add 1 more vho bulb to add more light. its a uvl 454. that means that i would have uvl 454,uvl super actinic and uvl actinic white.

That`s coralline algea and is very normal. Tank looks very nice. I also am concerned about your anenome.

Thank you for the compliment on the tank and the concern for the anenome. The lights will be alot brighter by monday. Anenome has been in the same spot for about a weeh already. Fed it a whole med sized peeled shrimp yesterday with no problem. I also have a rock anenome that you can see at the left side of the tank and another one in the center the my percula is in love with.

Great that it takes the shrimp. Next time feed it the shell and all. No devined shrimp in the ocean. ;) It will get trace minerals that way and is good to stimulate them in there simple digestion. Don't get freaked out if you see it regurgitating it's waste through it's mouth, In and out through the same opening.

Back
Top Bottom