Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to matman
Funny Story

So, I lost my first peppermint shrimp the morning after i got it.

So...i woke up this morning, and i see laying on my live rock, a hollowed out shell of a shrimp. I was so upset! I later realized that the bigger shrimp had just shed...or whatever its called. I was so relieved!

BTW, it is AWESOME to feed the shrimp from your hand!!

Old 03-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

molting and it happens every once in a while. Make sure your ca is good because they use it to form the new shells.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cool! Mine haven't molted yet, but they seem happy and active, and they eat like pigs, so it shouldn't be too long.......

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

shrimp feeding

Im new at salt water and I have a question,yesterday I got two camel back shrimps and I havent seem them eating at all since,they just hide behind the live rock.
Any advise would be great.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, the best thing to do is to check your parameters. Inverts are sticklers for nitrates. However, mine are high and my anemone, shrimp and starfish are all doing great.

I'm sure they will eat eventually...mine are pigs. They take the food from the anemone when its trying to eat. Try feeding directly from your hand.

Let me know if it gets better!
Old 04-22-2005, 10:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
What is causing your high nitrates? My two salt tanks both have 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, and 0 ammonia. But it seems like tons of people have a lot of problems with their nitrates.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, arent YOU special! HAHA!

I honestly dont know what is causing my high nitrates. I've done a couple of water changes, and actually added live plants cause i heard they can bring them down.

I havent checked my parameters recntly, so i will and let you know/
Old 04-24-2005, 01:09 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What do I feed camelback shrimp? and how I hand feed them?,they hide behind the live rock and can barely see them
Old 04-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I feed mine regular flake food. Just put some in your hand and put it near them they should jump all over it.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have a couple of cleaner shrinmp and 1 coral banded they would not eat for a couple of weeks then all of a sudden they eat like hogs they will even swim upside down on the water's surface to get the flake food before my fish its really a funny sight to watch

30g sump
mag 1200
180lbs LR
elke is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com