Funny Story about my new Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ogden10

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK so for a long time now I have been thinking about getting a eel. I was somewhat unsure of what I wanted, and have been watching a few of them at various LFS. Well one of my favorite stores around here had the once a year 4 hour sale last Thursday. So I decided to say what the heck and get the snowflake I had been watching there. (BTW I got some screaming deals.....like a 150 Watt PC for 40 bucks and a acrylic nano type cube with built in wet dry and protein skimmer and acrylic stand for 50 bucks!!)

Anyway so later at home I was trying to get my son to sleep anxious to get the eel acclimated. So I asked my wife if she would be so kind as to open the bag in preparation to get him acclimated. Background is my wife HATES eels. They scare the heck out of her, basically water snakes she says. So anyway I hear her fumbling with the rubber bands to open the bag. Suddenly a blood curdling scream from the tank. So I turn around and her arms are in the air flailing, the eel half way out of the bag and chaos ensues. The eel comes completely out of the bag and proceeds to fall behind the tank and stand. The wife is standing on the couch holding the baby, dogs barking, and I am trying to find the missing eel. So I open the cabinet door, and out comes the eel, wife goes back on the couch, and I grab it and put it in the tank, just before my dog gets it. At this point I am laughing so hard I can barely stand :mrgreen:

Sorry to drag the story out, but it was truly hilarious....the wife is still afraid to go near the tank, and will not walk in the room without turning on all the lights. Freaked out last night thinking the remote control was the eel.....

Just out of curiosity, anyone know how long a eel can be out of water, since I know if he escapes and I am not home there is no chance what so ever of her putting it back in....in fact she said if it happens she is leaving the house and locking the doors until I get home. LOL

lol that is funny !! my brothers eel(green moray) escaped one night and was pretty dried up as he picked it up to throw it away he moved a bit so he thought lets give him a try ! put him back into the tank and it shot out of his hands and was fine !! didnt eat for two weeks but lived !! so if ya catch it in time ya be surprised what they can make it thru !! have heard of people getting eels in lr shipped to them !!

Last year I found an eel laying on the beach yards away from the water. Lord knows how long he had been dry and laying directly in the sun. I scooped him up and put him in a tidal pool and he swam away happy as a clam.

Back
Top Bottom