Fuzz algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had a minor outbreak of what I'd call a fuzzy algae. I have a small rock with a small GSP colony in my main tank that was starting to be covered by it. It took some work with a small brush to get it off (without damaging the GSP). It was starting to grow actually on the GSP's "base", and the polyps weren't coming out much.

There is a rock in my fuge (like an acropora skeleton), that is covered by the stuff. That rock is pretty good sized - 10" long or so. Its really thick on it.

Its short - no more than 1/8" long, but like grass. Dense, greenish-brown. No real stiff, it waves in the water, and goes flat against the rock if I pull it out. No cleanup crew of rish seem interested in eating it.

Should I bother trying to clean up the rock in my fuge, or just discard it? I'd hate to toss it, there are several small feather dusters growing on it, but I don't want this fuzzy stuff spreading to the main any more.

Any yeah - I know - nitrates cause this. PWC's fix it. Doin that.

try putting it in a bucket of saltwater with an airstone or powerhead etc, cover the bucket so that no light can get in. The feather dusters will be ok but the hair algae should die off. You might want to change out the water every few days.

I have found a few spots in the main tank with it - some of it I was able to pluck by hand. I know brush it off can just spread it around if you don't siphon it.

I'm going to cut back on my lighting schedule a bit (I've been running long days - 12 hours of light).

My main tank is covered in this too; however, my Refugium is crystal clear. Is there anything that can be done in addition to just cleaning it out by hand?

Princess said:
My main tank is covered in this too; however, my Refugium is crystal clear. Is there anything that can be done in addition to just cleaning it out by hand?
Reduced lighting, more water flow, PWCs and reduce feeding (if possible).

Back
Top Bottom