FW to SW Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCardMan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I haven't done saltwater tanks in about 12 years. I am ready to leap back into it. I have a 65 gallon show tank (36"Lx18"Wx24"H), the base is a single door with a front opening of 10"w x 21"h and the inside room is 30"w x 14"d. The rear of the unit is mostly opened and depending on where I place the tank I may or may not have access to the rear.

I am looking for suggestions on a quality, low maintenance filtration system which incorporates everything. I have looked recently at the Ecosystems 3012. Seems nice but was not sure of it was considered good. Any advice on the newer systems out there? I do not want to go crazy $$'s. I will just have Fish and some live rock possibly.

Thanks in advance for you suggestions....

Welcome to AA.

I'm not up on the types of mechanical filtrations or what is best but if your gonna add live rock anyway, why not just use that as your filter? It is the best filtration you could have on your tank. With 1.5-2lbs per gal of liverock/baserock and some strategically placed powerheads, that is really all you need. You'll also eventually want to add a nice skimmer and that will help with filtration as well.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
First off...there is really no good "all-in-one" system. Your (and your tank) are better served by reserching and buying seperate components.
I am looking for suggestions on a quality, low maintenance filtration system which incorporates everything.
IMO, go with 1.5-2lbs/gal of LR, LS substrate and aggressive skimming. This will give you great all natural filtration. Some people do throw in a canister or HOB filter as a means of mechanical and chemical filtration. These do need to be cleaned often to keep water parameters in check. Another option is going with a sump or fuge under the tank.

Thanks for the info, you think the Live Rock and Substrate will be enough to keep the tank going on it's own? I said it wrong. What I meant by "everything incorporated" was that I wanted a system with wet/dry - Skimmer - UV - Etc. if needed. I do not want a canaster system, have a dual canister system now with my freshwater and they are a pain to maintain and I always put it off. I was thinking of a wet/dry system with a skimmer. Do you think this is not needed? What I am looking to keep in this tank are Angels and Hardy type of fish/plants. I have seen filters that local stores are showing me that go for $800-$900 and I am not sure if that is what I should be looking at for this size tank. I was in one store today and he showed me a set up for $400 which includes filter tank - skimmer - pump. The one for 800/900 did not include the pumps or plumbing material. I do not have holes in my tank so it would have to be something that runs up the back and into the top for the flow and return.

Back
Top Bottom