FW to SW question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a small 2.5 gallon that I had 2 female bettas in recently... The bettas died from some fungus and I don't really want to put anymore in the tank. I have some small rubble I want to get rid of out of my 45 gallon, so I thought a nano reef would be cool.

Question is, I recently used some medication in the tank. No copper based meds. I used an ick medicine containing Acriflavine and Victoria Green, parasite and anti-fungal meds. If I take the sand out and rinse it, I should be fine, right? Don't want to kill any inverts or corals or anything like that. :)

Thanks.

You won't be using alot of sand in a 2.5g, so you can either replace with new or bleach the old and rinse or sts well.

Being a very small nano and not requiring alot of sand I would just buy new sand and save the trouble.

Well thing is... I wanted to use black sand. And since I only need about 3 lbs of it, I don't want to buy an entire big bag of it and I don't have any more extra.

If you guys still think I'd be safer getting new sand, I suppose I'll have to suck it up and get a big bag. :)

so you can either replace with new or bleach the old and rinse or sts well.

What is sts?

If I bleach, should I use a diluted solution? Should I soak or just rinse in the bleach?

Thanks!

I have seen 5Lbs of sand in my LFS. I believe I paid around $2.50.

You can soak in a diluted bleach solution and make sure you tumble the sand after pouring so bleach doesn't just sit at the top, then rinse w/fresh water very well. sts = Sodium thiosulfate, which is what we use at our facility to quickly "unbleach" solutions.

Back
Top Bottom