GAC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, pany hose do work. I'd probably buy a new set to make sure they are nice and clean instead of a used/washed pair that may have detergent in them. I just buy little white filter type bags at my LFS for around $1 each, they have a draw string top and work great.

You can also get Chemi-pure, with is a carbon/resin product that already comes in a nylon bag...

Cheers
Steve

well I have to tell ya. I tried it and I spent soooo much time trying to rinse the black dust out and made such a huge mess, that I won't be going that route again.

ReefRaff said:
I tried it and I spent soooo much time trying to rinse the black dust out and made such a huge mess, that I won't be going that route again.
If you are talking about the chemi-pure, it is pre-rinsed and even though you may get some "bleeding" it does not need additional rinsing really. When I change it out, I quickly swish it in a pail of removed tank water and into the filter. It has never been an issue....

Cheers
Steve

ReefRaff said:
well I have to tell ya. I tried it and I spent soooo much time trying to rinse the black dust out and made such a huge mess, that I won't be going that route again.

What kind of carbon are you using? Some really cheap carbon I bought at my LFS was horrible, it'd rinse it for 20 minutes and black would keep pouring off it. So now I buy the Aqua-Tech carbon at wal-mart. It's actually made by Marineland but just packaged for wal-mart and is only aournd $5 for a 900mL container. It's pre-rinsed, I just rinse it for 10 seconds or so to make sure excess debris from shipping is removed as well.

If you are talking about the chemi-pure, it is pre-rinsed and even though you may get some "bleeding" it does not need additional rinsing really. When I change it out, I quickly swish it in a pail of removed tank water and into the filter. It has never been an issue....

What kind of carbon are you using? Some really cheap carbon I bought at my LFS was horrible, it'd rinse it for 20 minutes and black would keep pouring off it.

It was a 3.65 L conatainer of Black Diamond GAC. and it is approx a 1/8 inch particle size. One person (can't remember who) was saying that there was a better product than GAC. was that you steve? was it Chem-Pure you or they were talking about?

If asked I usually recommend chemi-pure but I cannot remember if we talked about it previously...

Cheers
Steve

Best place in a sump would be suspended in a slotted plastic bowl or basket beneath the outflow of the skimmer. I would not place it in an actual refugium, the flow is too slow to be effective...

Cheers
Steve

Another alternative top carbon is seachem purigen. It aslo removes alot of organic impurities. As far as what toput it in i like the nylon bags.

Back
Top Bottom