Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2003, 11:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
GAC

what do you guys use to put GAC in for a sump? i have heard panty hose. does that work?

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 02:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Yes, pany hose do work. I'd probably buy a new set to make sure they are nice and clean instead of a used/washed pair that may have detergent in them. I just buy little white filter type bags at my LFS for around $1 each, they have a draw string top and work great.

Old 12-14-2003, 03:22 AM   #3
steve-s

You can also get Chemi-pure, with is a carbon/resin product that already comes in a nylon bag...

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-14-2003, 08:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
well I have to tell ya. I tried it and I spent soooo much time trying to rinse the black dust out and made such a huge mess, that I won't be going that route again.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 12:53 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRaff
I tried it and I spent soooo much time trying to rinse the black dust out and made such a huge mess, that I won't be going that route again.
If you are talking about the chemi-pure, it is pre-rinsed and even though you may get some "bleeding" it does not need additional rinsing really. When I change it out, I quickly swish it in a pail of removed tank water and into the filter. It has never been an issue....

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-14-2003, 01:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRaff
well I have to tell ya. I tried it and I spent soooo much time trying to rinse the black dust out and made such a huge mess, that I won't be going that route again.
What kind of carbon are you using? Some really cheap carbon I bought at my LFS was horrible, it'd rinse it for 20 minutes and black would keep pouring off it. So now I buy the Aqua-Tech carbon at wal-mart. It's actually made by Marineland but just packaged for wal-mart and is only aournd $5 for a 900mL container. It's pre-rinsed, I just rinse it for 10 seconds or so to make sure excess debris from shipping is removed as well.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Quote:
If you are talking about the chemi-pure, it is pre-rinsed and even though you may get some "bleeding" it does not need additional rinsing really. When I change it out, I quickly swish it in a pail of removed tank water and into the filter. It has never been an issue....
Quote:
What kind of carbon are you using? Some really cheap carbon I bought at my LFS was horrible, it'd rinse it for 20 minutes and black would keep pouring off it.
It was a 3.65 L conatainer of Black Diamond GAC. and it is approx a 1/8 inch particle size. One person (can't remember who) was saying that there was a better product than GAC. was that you steve? was it Chem-Pure you or they were talking about?
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 08:17 PM   #8
steve-s

If asked I usually recommend chemi-pure but I cannot remember if we talked about it previously...

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-14-2003, 08:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
how would you "hang" it in the sump/refugium though?
Old 12-14-2003, 10:51 PM   #10
steve-s

Best place in a sump would be suspended in a slotted plastic bowl or basket beneath the outflow of the skimmer. I would not place it in an actual refugium, the flow is too slow to be effective...

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com