Galaxia and Open Brain Coral Help!!! Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acolotto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I just picked up a couple pieces of coral one is a galaxia coral and the other is an open brain coral i believe. The thing is that i bought these two pieces for $25 cause they have some die off and the brain coral is kind of large but i couldnt pass this deal up to try and revive them. I was just wondering if i could get some advice on how to help revive them and just some general info and advice on them? Also the galaxia coral has white tips and i'm just wondering if this is normal? I have 4*54w t5ho lights and the tank has been running for 13 months and these are my first corals. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 157
Depending on what kind of galaxia that is it may or may not stand a chance. For the brain...I'd make sure it is getting the light it needs and that the parameters are correct. Looks like it could make a recovery. What kind of bulbs are you running in your t5? I'd read up on the type of flow that they need. That might be what makes or breaks it.

Both of those corals can recover. I would keep them in moderate to low lighting and moderate flow. See if they will take meaty foods at night. That will speed up tissue growth.

Thanks for the help! And sorry I can't remember what lights I have on here but they're about a yr old so I'm in the process of getting new ones. Also mr x what should I feed them I have a Reef complete food cubes that I feed the tank if I thawed them and gave them little pieces of that would it be ok?

If it's a meaty food, like chopped fish or similar, it will work. I am not familiar with reef complete, but it's got to be something that when thawed isn't going to disintegrate into the water. Wait till the lights go out and put some on the tentacles.
You are going to need to look at your fixture and figure out what it is. What kind of lamps does it take and what is the wattage of them?

It takes t5ho lights and it's 54 watts and I have 4 of them...I'm pretty sure I have 2 power-GLO 18000 k and 2 marine-GLO 10000 k bulbs...what bulbs should I get when I replace them? Again I'm just getting into corals and I would like to be able to have LPS, SPS, softies and anemones

I like ati lamps for my t5 lights. They have aquablue, special blue and a purple plus that I use. Your corals have a good chance of recovery.

I put the brain coral on the sand bed but the galaxia seems to be doing good where it's at I'll watch it for a couple more days and go from there. Now I tried to feed the brain coral last night but didn't seem to take it and really didn't see any of it's tentacles should I be worried or do they only come out for a little? Also at night the galaxia returns into its polyps not all the way but they definitely go in is this normal?

I have never fed a brain but when my candy cane was recovering from getting knocked around when I fed it the tentacles didn't come out but it did swell up and eat the food. When it recovered completely the tentacles come out when there is food in the tank.

I have fed plenty of lobos. Eventually, tentacles will come out of it and it will accept food. I don't think you can tell from a day or two in the tank if the galaxia likes where it's positioned. These are not high light corals. I've always put them close to, if not on the sand bed and they've done well.

Yea I'll let it stay for a little and go from there and I've been doing weekly water changes of 5 to 10 gallons should I change this at all since the corals are still getting "use to" my tank?

I have never fed a brain but when my candy cane was recovering from getting knocked around when I fed it the tentacles didn't come out but it did swell up and eat the food. When it recovered completely the tentacles come out when there is food in the tank.

Glad I'm not the only one wondering about candy cane tentacles! The frag I got was in bad shape. Already had some tissue recession. It's swelled up quite a bit and SEEMS to be moving back over the receded area, but I've never seen tentacles on it.

Thanks for the help guys. Ill keep all you guys updated.

Back
Top Bottom