Galaxy Coral lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey is a coralife 2 65 wat 10,000k and 2 65 wat true actinic bulbs strong enough for a galaxy coral? please someone answer this for me by 9 am tommorow someone is getting me this coral for my birthday and i dont want it to die. I plan on getting getting a pack of frozen brine shrimp to feed my tank twice a week.my tank is a 55 gal with a torch coral toadstool zoanthus and mushrooms also some type of leather tree a kenya tree i think its called .

well its in my tank now its open and looking healthy i have found some sites that say moderate to high lighting some say if its just moderate it will change colors sometimes but not all the time a video on youtube said that as well a limpits reef video if you have ever heard of them. i am going to have this coral mid/high level in the tank. i will keep ya posted on its health.

130 watts is not enough lights. More then likely it will seem okay, but your coral will start to turn brown in color and not look so robust in color. even twice that is bearly enough. Its all about penetration and the PC's don't do that well.

Agreed. With that lighting, you need to focus on the softies and easy LPS.

Will it even stay alive with this lighting , if not how fast should i try to get it back to petland if they will even let me bring it back in? i am feeding the whole tank brine shrimp twice to three times a week will that even help me keep it alive till i can afford better lights or be able to take him back.

Over feeding with only cause you more problems. It' won't die tomorrow, but it won't servive long term either. Taking it back to Petland is your best option. You can always get another one when you have enough lighting.

i will be calling them today to see if they will they open at ten if they wont i will call a local pet store they have a hammer coral in i think mike told me once i have enough light for him. i think its a bit more expensive tho.

Take it to them and maybe they can hold it for you or you can trade for something that you like.

You should have enough light for the hammer. Remember to place it away from your other corals and give it space. Euphyllia are aggressive corals.

The hammer is a moderate light coral so you should be OK. Good advice given by severum mama about placement.

130 watts is not enough lights. More then likely it will seem okay, but your coral will start to turn brown in color and not look so robust in color. even twice that is bearly enough. Its all about penetration and the PC's don't do that well.

well the store wont take it back cause they said my lights were strong enough and thincat my lights are 260 wats 2 65 wat 10,000k is the 130 and then 2 65 wat true attinc is another 130 i called a bunch of random pet stores in town and out of town asking if it would have enough light they said yes one said his friend had one in a tank with the 50/50 lights...... so i guess i am going to have to tough it out and hope for the best..... pray for me if ya pray....

My bad...260 compact is good enough for most corals. Sps might have to be placed in the upper 1/3rd of the tank. The problem with compacts is they don't have good penetration. I have my doughts about keeping an anemone unless it to goes up toward the top. Not enough light power is a cause of anemones getting sucked into power heads as they move around the tank looking for a good spot.

My bad...260 compact is good enough for most corals. Sps might have to be placed in the upper 1/3rd of the tank. The problem with compacts is they don't have good penetration. I have my doughts about keeping an anemone unless it to goes up toward the top. Not enough light power is a cause of anemones getting sucked into power heads as they move around the tank looking for a good spot.

ok thincat your straying off subject here lol :drain: i dont want a anenome lol :cool:

Back
Top Bottom