Garden eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enjoyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought an eel at my lfs . The sales person said it was a garden eel . But when i looked it up online. the picture they had was different. this eel is black & white bands each one is the same size ,kinda like a coral snake but blk & wht . Its in a 60gal tank with 2 firetail fish . Any help please

Yep, looks like Myrichthys colubrinus (banded snake eel) gets to about 30", eats crustaceans like shrimp and crabs, will also eat small fish.

now i know its a banded snake eel . Should i tell the lfs. or is it worth $20us im having trouble finding info on it and i dont want to ask them they said it was a garden eel :roll: He swam into my green carpet anomie twice and seams to be ok . but how many times can he get stung before he learns to stay away

Should i tell the lfs.

They are probably just calling it what their distributor called it.

is it worth $20us

Yeah, probably so, there aren't too many eels that go for less the $20.00 in the SW aquartium trade.

He swam into my green carpet anomie twice and seams to be ok . but how many times can he get stung before he learns to stay away

It probably never will, eels are nocturnal and are fairly near sighted anyway. Once he finds the place he is hapiest, it is doubful that he will roam too much, they tend to be sedentary creatures provided they are getting enough food. The only time my moray leaves his cave is to let me know he's out of shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom