Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dingusplease's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,364
Thanks dallas They're pretty fascinating and it's too bad they've been collected so much.v
__________________

__________________
dingusplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingusplease View Post
Thanks dallas They're pretty fascinating and it's too bad they've been collected so much.v
Yep, seems our planet is losing species faster than ever and Im happy when someone steps in and tries to do their part in the survival of a species. I have been keeping N-Class endless outdoors to try and help preserve some of the untouched wild bloodlines. Even if mine is an insignificant contribution it helps none the less. You are doing what I'm trying to do on steroids and I appreciate it.
__________________

__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:21 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dingusplease's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
Yep, seems our planet is losing species faster than ever and Im happy when someone steps in and tries to do their part in the survival of a species. I have been keeping N-Class endless outdoors to try and help preserve some of the untouched wild bloodlines. Even if mine is an insignificant contribution it helps none the less. You are doing what I'm trying to do on steroids and I appreciate it.

Same opinion here! That's awesome - do you mean endlers? Interesting about maintaining diversity, I'd like to know about how you're doing that. Sounds like a pretty big contribution to me
I made a filter sock holder out of PVC today, bought a new refractometer, got my powerhead, and a new heater.

Biggest challenge is refurbishing the basement room where this tank is going.
__________________
dingusplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:11 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingusplease View Post
Same opinion here! That's awesome - do you mean endlers? Interesting about maintaining diversity, I'd like to know about how you're doing that. Sounds like a pretty big contribution to me
I made a filter sock holder out of PVC today, bought a new refractometer, got my powerhead, and a new heater.

Biggest challenge is refurbishing the basement room where this tank is going.
Yeah I meant Endlers, silly autocorrect! I aquired a large colony of certified N-Class Black Bars that I keep in heated stock tubs outside. They are doing well and I plan on distributing them around to some local hobbyists. They grow large and healthy in the Denver sun on a diet of live insect larvae. Have you found someone to supply you with the eels? Not something you can usually pick up at your LFS!
__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dingusplease's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,364
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
Yeah I meant Endlers, silly autocorrect! I aquired a large colony of certified N-Class Black Bars that I keep in heated stock tubs outside. They are doing well and I plan on distributing them around to some local hobbyists. They grow large and healthy in the Denver sun on a diet of live insect larvae. Have you found someone to supply you with the eels? Not something you can usually pick up at your LFS!
That's awesome! How are they now that it's getting chilly?
I found one possible online source but not confirmed. They're $50 each, so building a colony could take a while .

And here's the thread! Tons of updates
Garden Eel Room - 120G In-wall - General Discussion - Nano-Reef.com Forums
__________________
dingusplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:33 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
fish wrangler's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NE Illinois
Posts: 4,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingusplease View Post
That's awesome! How are they now that it's getting chilly?
I found one possible online source but not confirmed. They're $50 each, so building a colony could take a while .

And here's the thread! Tons of updates
Garden Eel Room - 120G In-wall - General Discussion - Nano-Reef.com Forums
So we're not good enough to have a build thread? feelin the love over here. 120 gallons is far from a nano tank anyway :p lol
__________________
3 tanks
a 29 gallon high tech planted Chasing Red, a 20 long low tech, and a 75 gallon salty adventure
fish wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:07 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,322
Garden Eels by dingusplease

I never had them in a aquarium, but I saw many on dive sites. Hard to photograph as they are very shy and can move like the Flash. I would find them in a "garden of eels" maybe as many as a hundred, all pointed and feeding directly into the current. They were feeding on tiny floating organisms, maybe plankton. They were in a fine grain aragonite flat bottom area. Usually with some rock protection from heavy wave action. But surely some current as that's what delivers their food. The sand was cohesive enough to not cave in on their burrows.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
have you considered the weight of all that sand and reinforce the bottom plate of glass?
How many lbs of sand are you using? the finer the grain, the more it will weigh by volume, so a 12" fine sand bed will be substantially heavy, possibly exceeding the structural limits of the glass.
I would be fearful of the bottom cracking under all that weight.
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dingusplease's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
have you considered the weight of all that sand and reinforce the bottom plate of glass?
How many lbs of sand are you using? the finer the grain, the more it will weigh by volume, so a 12" fine sand bed will be substantially heavy, possibly exceeding the structural limits of the glass.
I would be fearful of the bottom cracking under all that weight.
That's a point I hadn't considered, and yes I am using 400lbs of sand. Although I've never heard of anyone keeping garden eels having issues with sand weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I never had them in a aquarium, but I saw many on dive sites. Hard to photograph as they are very shy and can move like the Flash. I would find them in a "garden of eels" maybe as many as a hundred, all pointed and feeding directly into the current. They were feeding on tiny floating organisms, maybe plankton. They were in a fine grain aragonite flat bottom area. Usually with some rock protection from heavy wave action. But surely some current as that's what delivers their food. The sand was cohesive enough to not cave in on their burrows.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Great experience; I'd love to see them in such a big "garden". Curious, where were you diving that you saw garden eels without sea grass around them? From what I've learned they usually inhabit shallow grassbeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish wrangler View Post
So we're not good enough to have a build thread? feelin the love over here. 120 gallons is far from a nano tank anyway :p lol
Aghh sorry lol not my intention I just have friends who frequent NR. Plus they have more sponsors . Kidding, just wanted to share the thread here too.
__________________
dingusplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,322
The groups I saw were pretty much in the clear as grass would obstruct the flow they seemed to be feeding from. But that might change between regions.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eel, eels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garden eels? Swimzebras Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 38 03-15-2011 04:40 PM
Pls HELP, Garden Eels and Smith's Fang Blenny torontofc Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 2 01-09-2010 04:57 PM
Garden eels pat8you Saltwater Reef Aquaria 12 01-09-2010 01:52 AM
Are Fire Eels And Tire Track Eels Compatible? Aquarium Freak Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 02-18-2007 07:54 AM
Garden eels? snapcrackler Saltwater Reef Aquaria 0 10-09-2003 02:16 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.