Garden hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquishyFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
My wife and I realized that only thing we had done differently about the time of the crash was that we used a garden hose when doing the water change. We clipped the ends off and pumped the old water down the driveway. There wouldnt be anything on a rubber hose that would cause a crash, would it?

I used a garden hose the first year for my water changes. No ill effects that I could see.

I didnt think so, but thought I would ask. Besides...if there were something on it or in it, It would have effected the inverts first.

This crash really has me perplexed. I'm worried about trying to put new fish in the tank.

It would have effected the inverts first.
I effected my inverts, I sucked snails through it all the time...couldn't see them. :lol:
Thats why I switched to the clear tubing. :wink:
This crash really has me perplexed. I'm worried about trying to put new fish in the tank.
It would concern me as well. Maybe place a sturdy damsel in there first for a while to see what happens.
Sorry bud, this is a tough one.

Kurt,

Thanks for the help. I think I will toss a few Blue chromis in there. I want another school of them anyway.

And I have sucked several fish up into the hose over the years..lol. I had a beautiful red perc that got wedged into the hose. :( Thats why I started rubber banding bridal mesh nylons around the end of the hose.

Thats why I started rubber banding bridal mesh nylons around the end of the hose.
Thats a good idea. I darn near dumped a neon goby in the toilet once during a water change, saw him in the bucket at the last second.

Good luck and keep us posted. Its making me rethink the whole DSB thing myself.

LOL, that was actually suppose to be "bridal mesh OR nylons." I have never seen "bridal mesh nylons" before.

I was basically thinking I would just let my DSB go inert by putting the Orange spot in there. It would keep it turned, and the pods would hopefully reproduce in the rock. One mandarine, 300-400lbs of rock...should get enough food right?

This is the first time in a long time that I really cant decide what I want to do.

LOL, that was actually suppose to be "bridal mesh OR nylons." I have never seen "bridal mesh nylons" before.
I was gonna ask the wife about that one...hehe :p

One mandarine, 300-400lbs of rock...should get enough food right?
I would think so, you tank is pretty mature with lots of pods..right? With no competition, he should do well.
Its been about 4 months since my sand sifters passed and I am just now starting to see some pods, its taking longer that I thought it would to replenish. I would like to get another dragonette (a hitchiker crab took out my scooter), but I am going to wait a few months.
I like the Chromis idea. Think that may give you some confidence that everything is OK before you continue to move forward.

The tank is definately mature, although, we havent seen the pod population replenish its self like I thought it would. We got rid of the orange spot about a year and a half ago, and the population is still what I would call "minimal." All of the other micro life is doing great, just very few pod life. I think one of the first things I'm going to get is a booster pack for the pods.

Maybe that was it then. But that doesnt explain why the inverts and the mandarine werent effected. Thats the weird part of the crash. All parameters are in line, huge die off with in an hour, but my most delicate fish and the inverts are all fine.

I still can't believe with the size system you have that this was the culprit. Maybe is a small 20 gallon tank, but a 175? :?

Well...I think I'm just going to assume that it was a random fluke. The water is spec'ing out fine. The hair alge is die'ing off (because I cut the lights back to 4 hrs a day.) and I havent lost any more fish.

Kurt...now back to my original question on the other thread. To sift or not to sift?

IMO, I wouldn' get the stars for the beforementioned problems.
I would do the pod recharge and add a bunch of sand sifting snails.

Yes Ive heard of companies coating garden hoses with pesticide, to keep the lil buggers out of them during shipping and storage. I was warned about this when I first got into Saltwater 5 years ago. Now I dont know if its true, but it is something Ive heard.

Kurt,

I'm assuming that you meant sand sHifting snails..not sifting....and I think thats what were going to do as well.

Luxor,

If that were the case I really believe that it would have most definately killed the inverts before it killed a hearty fish like my 4 year old yellow tang. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom