Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2004, 07:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

GARF grunge?

I'm looking into getting a few(10ish) lbs. of GARF grunge, and maybe some (5ish lbs.) of GARF grunge plus. I have a Deresa clam...and since I love how cool the tridacnas are, it's probably the first of a few. I read that bristleworms will eat the clams, and I currently have none in my tank. Does anyone know if the grunge contains bristleworms? Does anyone recommend the grunge, or an alternative? Thanks!

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dan,

My first question is how do you know you dont have any in your tank? I'm assuming you have LR. If so, I'm not sure how you would get ALL of the bristle worms out of the rock. And they are reproduce very easily..it would only take one.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I went through a very tough setup period. The tank leaked....twice. So, the LR got dumped in a sump w/ no LS, the LS went into a large bin w/ almost no circulation. The LR survived, and I found 2 bristles dead in the bottom. The sand...well the sand is starting from scratch. I've seen no bristles...ever, not in the months it's been setup (since about Feb). I'm assuming they all got killed off during the chaotic setup time :-\.

Do they even eat clams? If they do, what does everyone else do about them?
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 08:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
the ate my zoo so i put him in my sump with some sand and some live rock. he is happy there and he cant hurt any thing.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I too am interested in Garf's Grunge or the Grunge Plus to try to add a little bit more life to my refugium and sandbed.. anyone have any stories on it.. it looks like the Grunge Plus consists of pretty large gravel...
Old 07-07-2004, 09:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

<duplicate post> Ack!
Old 07-11-2004, 12:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't have clams, but I haven't seen any problems from bristleworms.

I didn't have any in my 25 gallon tank and then I added some lr I got from a 100 gallon tank. The rock was kept by itself for a month or two without seeing anything on it. After setting up the rock in my 55 I have seen at least 3 or 4 that come out right in front.

If you're concerned about them, try some arrow crabs, but I have no idea what else they will do when they're done hunting.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I put the grunge into a 10 gallon nano I started about a month ago. They gave me some free when I ordered the softy special and the timing was right. I have to say that for cycling it's the way to go, I have tons of copepods and tiny serpents etc. all over already and that was not the case the last time I cycled. Although who knows what you get out of the live rock, every piece is unique. I would recommend it though as my corraline algae is taking off already in there, very quick I would say. It is fairly big chunks, about the size of cc with some real fine dust in there too. It's all very corraline covered, I spread it on some of my concrete rocks and in one month they're already growing alot of purple on them.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Has anyone added this to an existing tank. I wanted to try to get some before I got my 55 going, but now it's up and running.

I'm looking to add some fish and if I do decide to get some grunge, then I'll have to get some soon. I have 1 Regal Tang and two damsels.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com