Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish don't eat pure garlic. They won't even touch food if the garlic concentration is too much. What you need is mix about 2 or 3 drops of Garlic xtreme per 1/2 inch cube of frozen fish food.
The extract garlic treatment of fish won't be popular if not too many people have used it and actually experienced the effect to treat fish with parasites. I am one of them. As the saying goes "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Garlic Powder

For those that may feed garlic, have you ever tried garlic powder or garlic granules (about 1/2 size of a grain of sand)?:confused: I have an organic garlic granules in the pantry.

I guess I would be lucky if I could get my fish to eat it, as it would be quite "garlicy". I wouldn't want it to expand in their little bellies, :ermm: so I would soak it in tank water or pure water first. They are already had a feeding today, so I will try to update you again, when I try it.

Feeding Garlic

Does anyone feed their fish garlic?

Hello An...

I've been feeding my freshwater fish this herb for several years. It's high vitamin and supposedly an immune system booster. Besides this, they really relish it.

B

I add a dash of extract to my home made foods. In humans garlic has some beneficial properties, other than making your breath knock over a horse. Fish don't seem concerned about their breath , so what the heck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Garlic Granule Feeding Update

@jeffaquarius - Your fish may not touch garlic, but it could also depend on the breed, my test was successful with pure garlic granules.(y)

@BBradbury - Thank you for the info. :thanks: I'm glad to see it doesn't negatively affect your fish in the long haul, that was another question in my mind.

If you try this, of course check the ingredient list for any preservatives, chemicals,:nono: or other potential hazards for fish & humans alike. My test was with organic garlic granules. So the 1st feeding of the day, they hadn't eaten all night & were pretty accepting. I also rotate flakes, pellets, algae wafers, so they aren't picky eaters & used to change.;) They darted at & ate the water-soaked garlic granules right away :dance: (if I had garlic powder it might even be better because my tetras are tiny .75 inch). 28hrs so far & no adverse affects or bloating of any kind. It was also great they sank gradually, and made for an exciting "chase" as opposed to floating food. :fish2: I will note that the flame tetras after 1 or 2 granules swallowed, they started to get picky & would spit out the 3rd bite. ^_^ My white cloud & the glowfish tetras didn't mind & polished off the rest of the garlic before it hit the substrate.:popcorn:

I know the benefits of fish & garlic are debated, so I will continue looking into it. But for now, I think I will add soaked garlic granules to their food rotation, about every 4th day.:)

I use garlic power and put it on every time I feed both on LRS frozen food as well as Nori. The fish don't seem to mind and I believe it builds up their immune system

Back
Top Bottom