Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Garlic?

I was thinking about adding a new fish in the next few weeks (I'm going to remove my domino damsel because he chases the yellow tail and clown). I feed the fish frozen mysis shrimp, frozen plankton, and veggie flakes. How do I soak this stuff in garlic, because I don't have a QT. I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood), but I am looking at maybe some breed of dwarf angel, a butterfly, or a regal tang. These fish, I understand are all challenging (and costly), and I don't want to put them or my current inhabitants at risk.

PS--> I am going to get 2 cleaner shrimp before any more fish, if that would help.

Any assistance would be appreciated!!! TIA

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've never heard of using garlic instead of a QT. The only use I know of garlic is a flavor enhancer for fish that aren't eating well.

Kim

Old 06-18-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thaw the frozen food and rinse it with RO/DI water first. Next, in a small glass like a shot glass, put in the thawed food and a few drops of a garlic solution of your choice. This is also a good time to add suppliments like Selcon and Vita-Chem. If you want you can soak the flake and plankton in this solution as well. I then mix it with a little tank water before adding to the tank.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't have a qt or the money to establish one (according to the wife, it is not neccessary also), but I have read that garlic helps boost the immune system and may help their resistance to ich.

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garlic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com