Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

So if you put freshly pressed garlic directly in the water, would it kill the ick parasite?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think its best to just keep it out of our systems altogether rather than treat the fish over and over and over again because the ich returned ..Which it will unless you use the 3 proven methods to kill it for good

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb View Post
So if you put freshly pressed garlic directly in the water, would it kill the ick parasite?
I would have a hard time believing this
Old 09-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
I would have a hard time believing this
But allicin, that is present in freshly pressed garlic, cures ick when added onto food that the fish eat. If it doesn't boost the fishs immune system, then it has to actively kill the parasite, so adding it directly into the water would have the same affect. I'm just trying to piece together everything that is being presented in this thread and going one step further.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe in the stage of life its on the fish ,,but i doubt it would get to it deep in the sand bed or in the LR,,,i guess you could start doing WC's with straight Allicin till your water was pure only that...maybe then i guess,,IDK, i still think its a big money making scheme yet to be 100% proven to rid your tank of ich..
Plus i read that allicin breaks down so rapidly that the stuff bought in stores is useless..only way to ensure pure fresh allicin is to squeeze fresh cloves every time,,..Seems like a lot of work for something that can be so easily avoided
Old 09-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #16

As stated you would have to put so much garlic in the water it is not an option, it needs to be fed to the fish.

Obviously prevention is better than any cure, no matter which cure you prefer. But if it is there, gallons of prevention are worthless.

It is not proven yet because so many people argue so hard against it that others won't try it. I don't see why people argue against it so hard when it has the potential to be an effective and safe way to treat marine white spot in a reef.

What are the 'only 3 proven methods'?
Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Starve it (a fallow tank), Hyposalinity and copper..
No arguments that i know of with any of these..
I don't see why we need to prove another method to deal with it when there are these tried and true ways already
Old 09-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #18

Because none of those are reef safe.

Marine white spot happens in reefs too, and with so few to no effective methods to treat it, we need to find one.

IME illness is NOT caused by pathogens alone. It is caused by stress that weakens their immune system and then allows any pathogens that are present the chance to cause illness. I have seen it over and over and over again, fresh and salt. Fish get sick, but all the other fish in the tank are fine and it never spreads even though they are all exposed.

Starvation and hyposalinity are both stressful on the fish and the pathogen (the point is to stress the pathogen more than the fish, in time). With garlic the fish are still happy while you kill the white spot.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Leaving a tank fallow is safe (except for the ich),,which is what a lot of people end up doing because ich has wiped it out and they kept trying all those useless meds..
Hyposalinity is actually very calming to fish and helps them breath better and exert less energy...
I'm willing to concede to the fact pure allicin can help kill ich while its on the fish,but don't believe it does anything to it in all its other stages of life.How could it?..I don't think they will ever find something that will kill ich and is reef safe ..If its going to kill ich its going to kill inverts of any kind.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

'Each to his own' I think is the correct answer to this debate.

David S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, garlic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com