Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

garlic.. do you inject this into the food

garlic.. do you inject this into the food.. and what type of garlic. i have powdered garlic coul i make this into a mixture and inject it into the food

Old 09-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_will2513 View Post
garlic.. do you inject this into the food.. and what type of garlic. i have powdered garlic coul i make this into a mixture and inject it into the food
they sell the liquid garlic solution and you soak the food in it. It also helps ward off some parasites

Old 09-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

they sell it in the lfs
Old 09-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think it does any good for parasites...
Basically it just stimulates the fishes appetite ...
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
I don't think it does any good for parasites...
Basically it just stimulates the fishes appetite ...
What it does is boost the immune system of the fish to prevent parasites like ick
Old 09-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #6

No, it doesn't boost the immune system. There is no evidence to back this up. That is just another regurgitated idea.

Allicin, a chemical in garlic, has been shown to actively kill parasites. However, it is not present in everything garlic. The garlic has to be pressed for two other chemical to combine into the allicin. Freshly pressed garlic is what has effective amounts of allicin in it.

The store bought stuff does not seem to have the same properties, at least not that I have ever seen. The store bought stuff really is just a great and very effective appetite stimulant.

New Life Spectrum Thera+A has a lot more garlic than their other formulas and I have seen cases where it treated parasites.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I too agree that it wont do anything for parasites. Read this

Garlic: What has been Studied Versus What has been Claimed by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #8

That article again...of course. I will state my response to that, again:

One of the articles actually states right in the abstract that allicin (extract from garlic) actually killed ich.

Here are his refrences and my responses to them:

Colorni, Angelo, Rami Avtalion, Wayne Knibb, Evelyn Berger, Barbara Colorni, & Bracha Timan. 1998. "Histopathology of sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) experimentally infected with Mycobacterium marinum and treated with streptomycin and garlic (Allium sativum) extract." Aquaculture 160(1998)1-17.
-This study only shows that Mycobacterium marinum is not cured by allicin. This does not apply to garlic’s anti-parasitic properties since this is a bacteria.

Ashdown, Denise & Gary Violetta. 2004. "Using Garlic as an Appetite Stimulant in Sand Tiger Sharks (Carcharias taurus)." Drum & Croaker, January 2004, Volume 35, pages 59-63.
-This study discusses garlic’s use as an appetite stimulant, which doesn’t speak to its anti-parasitic properties.

Buchmann, K., P. B. Jensen, & K. D. Kruse. 2003. "Effects of Sodium Percarbonate and Garlic Extract on Ichthyophthirius multifiliis Theronts and Tomocysts: In Vitro Experiments." North American Journal of Aquaculture, Volume 65, Number 1, pages 21-24, 2003.
Abstract excerpt:
“Garlic extract had no effect in low amounts (30 mg/L), but at high concentrations (117 and 570 mg/L) it killed the tomocysts within 24 h.”
-This article shows that garlic can actually kill Ich tomocysts, although more garlic is required to be effective compared to malachite green.

Colorni, Angelo & Peter Burgess. 1997. "Cryptocaryon irritans Brown 1951, the cause of 'white spot disease' in marine fish: an update." Aquarium Sciences and Conservation, volume 1, pages 217-238.
-This article’s abstract and introduction did not mention garlic.

Fairfield, Terry. 1996. "Garlic & Your Aquarium: A Preliminary report on Allium sativum and fishkeeping." Aquarium Fish Magazine, January 1996, pages 79-83.
-This is not primary scientific research, and therefore scientifically cannot be considered as proof/disproof or support/lack of support of anything.

And here are the articles I cited in my article that was published in Aquarium Fish International Magazine, about how garlic has been scientifically demonstrated to actively kill parasites.

Ankri, S., and D. Mirelman. 2001. “Antimicrobial properties of allicin from garlic.” Microbes and Infection, 1(2):125-129.

Boxaspen, K., and J.C. Holm. 1992. “New biocides used against sea lice compared to organo-phosphorous compounds.” Aquaculture and the Environment: Reviews of the International Conference Aquaculture Europe ‘91, Dublin, Ireland, June 10-12, 1991. European Aquaculture Society Special Publ. pp. 393-402

Coppi, A., et al. 2006. “Antimalarial Activity of Allicin, a Biologically Active Compound from Garlic Cloves.” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 50:1731-1737.

D.L.N., 1998. “Allicin, one of the active principles of garlic, inhibits the growth of protozoan parasites.” Chemtech, 4:45.

Holden, C. 1997. “Fighting Parasites With Garlic.” Science, 278(5338):581.

Soko, C. K., and D.E. Barker. 2004. “Efficacy of crushed garlic and lemon juice as bio-product treatments for Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (‘ich’) infections among juvenile Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus.” Aquaculture Associaton of Canada Special Publication, 9:108-110.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess for me ,its all about the actual affect it has overall..Seems its only thought to treat the fish,right?(if it really does or not is irrelevant)..It does nothing to the ich living and breeding in the sand bed and LR...So to me its pointless to pump a fish full of garlic when it shows signs of it and think your doing any good in the battle with ich in your tank...
We all know ich has many stages of life and for it to truly be killed off there are only 2 proven methods,,well 3 if you count leaving a tank fallow..
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #10

But the ich on the fish is the only stage that causes harm, and is the stage that garlic can kill if fed to a fish. As pointed out in one study cited in the first article, allicin can kill ich.

I have talked to a couple people who fed NLS and had ich develop in a tang. They switched to the Thera+A formula and it went away. Maybe it went away on its own or some other coincidental reason, but there seems to be more evidence than nothing.

In the end it isn't harmful and there is evidence to suggest it could be very beneficial. Rather than arguing the idea based on poorly supported articles, we should accept the possibility and try it more often. It definitely won't hurt anything or make the ich worse, but could potentially cure it. Until we start to do this we won't know for sure either way and it is just pointless debates based on theory and little support.

Tags
food, garlic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com