Garlic for ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharklover

Aquarium Advice Freak
May have a white spot on my clown but i cant see cuz its small and looks more like a scar or sumthing but my Q is how do you treat food with garlic powder do i just sprinkle a litle on the food or in the tank or what?

Ive heard a few people say something about adding a lil to fish food helps ick i dont think it will treAt but with only one possible spot i could get lucky

Are your fish rubbing against rocks? If not I wouldn't worry. I have a royal gramma that was flashing 2 weeks ago, white spots last week, and the next day my clown had several white spots on him. I soaked the food in garlic, they ate it up.

I've seen a little flashing and I know that garlic doesn't cure ich, but it sure as heck doesn't hurt. I used minced garlic from the grocery store, or you can use garlic extreme from your LFS.

As for the poster above me. If you're going to comment at least add something to the conversation.

I used garlic last week and my fish are healthy and eating today. Again, I still have ich but the garlic may help the fish fight it.

The garlic will help to increase the immune system of the fish, but it will not get rid of the ich. :)

If you find out that this spot is ich, the best option is to remove the Clown from the display tank and put him in a separate quarantine tank. Here you can treat the ich with copper or hyposalinity (gradually lowering the salinity of your water).

Your main tank will need to be empty for 6-8 weeks for the parasite to die-off. I am currently going through this whole process now myself.

I hope this helped! :-D

Ok but how do i add the garlic to my food i have small pellets,flakes or if necissary lettuce but ive never tryed it yet...

Alright but i have already decided to try it so how do i actually add the garlic to the food!

Is there any way to do it with garlic powder or garlic cloves?

Don't know, never tried. I use the garlic liquid from lfs. I also raise my temp in my tank to 82 if I see ich in the tank. You also might want to add marine max to your water weekly. It helps the fish with their slime coat.

IF your gonna do it,use fresh garlic cloves,,,crush em up and add some warm water and let the pellets soak..Like already said a couple times and in the link posted ,,its not a cure and personally i think a waste of garlic and time..JMHO

No its not a cure but i cant hurt some say it helps appetites and has been tested some say it improves immune system so why not

No its not a cure but it cant hurt some say it helps appetites and has been tested some say it improves immune system so why not and btw i got a better look today and i have no idea it is one spot thats not sticking out like a bump and its just a really small white spot near where its dorsal fin starts

I have a question about ick (sorry for thread jacking) i dont have ick but was wondering how long it would take for ick to kill a damsel fish? Weeks, months?

Ick doesn't really have to kill any fish..Damsels are very tough and hardy and may probably never even show signs of ick,,this doesn't mean they don't have it...
Some fish are more sensitive than others and can't handle the added stress of ick ...

Back
Top Bottom