Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to pufferman
garlic, how effective?

Hey all,

I wanted to know how fast garlic is effective on boosting the immune system. I saw my tang itching vigorously and i placed a garlic soaked sheet of nori in the tank and he chomps on the nori, goes and itches, then comes back to chomp on the nori.

TIA

Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Most people would say that it is effective in helping marine fish immune system. I would agree with some people. I have soaked my frozen foods in it for years. It is not an effective cure against ich though. It would help in addition to some hypo or maybe QT with Copper.

9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
SALTYDAWGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks,
I did a FW dip on the little guy and i havent seen him scratch, ill check him again throughout the weekend

P-MAN
Old 07-03-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to melissfish
how often should u add the garlic.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have some concentrated garlic (you can buy it at the lfs-it is pricy though). I add about 2-3 drops for a cube of frozen food as it thaws out. I do this a few times a week. I let the cube sit for an hour then driop it in. The garlic acts in two ways. One, I believe it helps the immune system of the fish in the tank and two, it helps to stimulate a feeding response in all things including my brittle star. I also see my pods dash about wildly on the rock when it is added.
9 Watt UV Ster.
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

65 watt 12K PC
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
Old 07-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

My cleaner shrimp and hermit crabs go ballistic when I add garlic to the food as do the fish. I've heard that it is debatable if it does boost immune systems, but if it doesn't do anything for their immune system, it sure does make them really enjoy feeding time.

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I did a FW dip on the little guy and i havent seen him scratch, ill check him again throughout the weekend
FW dip is not an effective means of treating parasites. The stess caused by netting and the procedure itself often times do more harm and far outway any benefit of dipping. A much better solution is four weeks in QT using hyposalinity.

Garlic is not really looked at as a Tx either, more of a preventative measure. I have not actually seen much research on how effective it is at boosting the immune system. For now, keep an eye on your tang and watch for any visible signs or spots. If it is eating, has good color and is active you should be okay. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:03 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I chop it up finely in my blender mush.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

it has been eating voraciously, he is colorful, and he is active, but he scratches continuosly. the SG in the tank used to be 1.017 but i have recently raised it up to 1.021 over two or three weeks. Could this be contributed to his stress? I thought evaporation was the best way to raise the salinity. Should cleaner shrimp help? Once my SG is in check, i will make another effort to introduce cleaner shrimp. As long he is eating with the garlic, will he be able to fight it off. I havent replaced my UV bulb in about a year and a half. Should i replace the bulb? I only have $85 to spend on my tank. Thank you for your time

TIA
Old 07-04-2005, 09:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I probably would puffer. Get a new bulb and a ball valve to slow the water flow through the uv for maximum exposure to the bulb. 30 gallon is awfully small for a regal tang. Regals do have a tendancy to do a lot of scratching but they are also known to be very prone to ich. If I were you I would change about 7-8 gallons of water. Soak all food in garlic fo rthe next couple weeks. Change the uv bulb and make sure the flow is very very slow. Check your temp and SG. Watch the fish for signs of ich (Like spots, cloudy fins and eyes etc)

9 Watt UV Ster.
125lbs. Aragonite Base

65 watt 12K PC
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda

Tags
garlic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com