GBOY & NU NU 30 gal saltwater build!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ANY coral can bring in nasties. We once got flatworms in a trade. Lesson learned, dip corals. I hear Coral RX being recommended a lot but have never used it.

I've never actually thought about flatworms :banghead: but i've got a banana wrasse, and if I do get them he should take care of them.
Been lucky with my tank had no bad things at all. Not even Aipitasia

I have heard good about coral RX also (y)

fishy5559 said:
Well It's just usually RO dip, but I have been lucky and never had any nasties. Just get the plain RO to room temp and dip for 3-4 mins

Ok, sounds good. I guess your pretty lucky! What size tank and how old?

Coral RX. Got it! Sm, we arent going to QT because we can set up another tank, is there anything else we could do though? How do we know that a fish is very healthy and worth buying?

No torn fins, nice round belly, good colours and swimming about fine aswell as no spots and scratches.

Also about the emerald crab you plan, just make sure it is well fed, otherwise it might beggin eating some coral polyps.
Also I wouldn't put so many hermits in as you won't need that many

Coral RX. Got it! Sm, we arent going to QT because we can set up another tank, is there anything else we could do though? How do we know that a fish is very healthy and worth buying?

You don't. You're just hoping for the best at that point. You already know to avoid obviously sick fish, but the ones that look healthy at the shop can be the ones that start an ich outbreak in your tank. You never know- that is why people QT. You may get away with it, but you are playing with fire for sure.

severum mama said:
You don't. You're just hoping for the best at that point. You already know to avoid obviously sick fish, but the ones that look healthy at the shop can be the ones that start an ich outbreak in your tank. You never know- that is why people QT. You may get away with it, but you are playing with fire for sure.

Ya..how do you set up a temorary QT? like put up in a day, break down after the month sort of thing?

If it were my QT, I'd run some media in the HOB that you are using on the main tank, and add it to a HOB on the QT when I needed to set it up. Toss the old media each time you use the QT. That's just how I would do it.

severum mama said:
If it were my QT, I'd run some media in the HOB that you are using on the main tank, and add it to a HOB on the QT when I needed to set it up. Toss the old media each time you use the QT. That's just how I would do it.

So have 2 medias in the DT filter? Or just buy 2 filters for the main and have 1 for the QT?

Ya i found LR for sale on craigs list. 2 dollars a pound, cured, no pests and it has corals growing on it from his last tank. Thats just what he said

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ya i found LR for sale on craigs list. 2 dollars a pound, cured, no pests and it has corals growing on it from his last tank. Thats just what he said

I'd still try to find baserock. You get more rock and it's sooooo much easier to scape with. You just cut cardboard the length and height of your tank and aquascape on it. Use putty to hold it together then add 1/3 of sand into the tank. Pick up your rock structure then put it in and add the rest of the sand. Add water and.... Voila you're done.

Ibrahim said:
I'd still try to find baserock. You get more rock and it's sooooo much easier to scape with. You just cut cardboard the length and height of your tank and aquascape on it. Use putty to hold it together then add 1/3 of sand into the tank. Pick up your rock structure then put it in and add the rest of the sand. Add water and.... Voila you're done.

Ohh...that is an awesome idea!!!! Putty? Is there a special adhesive we need?

We want to make a big mound on the left, and an island on the right with an overhang connecting the two. Possible with glue?

EDIT: could i do the same but with all live rock?

Hi that's great news(y) look forward to seeing some photo's:) i believe they use milliput over here? But never used it so cannot comment really:ermm: Have read that you can drill a hole through the middle of the LR and then use a polypipe {plastic pipe} to hold it in place? Once again not done this myself:ermm:

stingrays4 said:
Hi that's great news(y) look forward to seeing some photo's:) i believe they use milliput over here? But never used it so cannot comment really:ermm: Have read that you can drill a hole through the middle of the LR and then use a polypipe {plastic pipe} to hold it in place? Once again not done this myself:ermm:

Hmm, i see. Thats quite the job though..i found an aquarium glue before, but forgot the name

Hi i am sure some one on here will soon come up with the answer for you(y) In my old marine tanks i simply 'stacked' up the rock,it looked OK, but always felt it could have looked better:cool: We also used to use a rock called tuffa rock. Basically an inert rock{not live rock}this could be sawn to shape,a messy but fun job,just don't do it in doors:lol: This is what maybe is now called 'base rock'? Plus its allot cheaper than live rock,but its a very 'white' rock so can look quite bright unless hidden:hide:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom