GBOY & NU NU 30 gal saltwater build!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stingrays4 said:
Hi i am sure some one on here will soon come up with the answer for you(y) In my old marine tanks i simply 'stacked' up the rock,it looked OK, but always felt it could have looked better:cool: We also used to use a rock called tuffa rock. Basically an inert rock{not live rock}this could be sawn to shape,a messy but fun job,just don't do it in doors:lol: This is what maybe is now called 'base rock'? Plus its allot cheaper than live rock,but its a very 'white' rock so can look quite bright unless hidden:hide:

Ya, i might just go with alot of base and a little bit of live

stingrays4 said:
Hi i am sure some one on here will soon come up with the answer for you(y) In my old marine tanks i simply 'stacked' up the rock,it looked OK, but always felt it could have looked better:cool: We also used to use a rock called tuffa rock. Basically an inert rock{not live rock}this could be sawn to shape,a messy but fun job,just don't do it in doors:lol: This is what maybe is now called 'base rock'? Plus its allot cheaper than live rock,but its a very 'white' rock so can look quite bright unless hidden:hide:

I've used tufa rock but it looked soo artificial in my tank.

Attachments

• image-214299298.jpg
    image-214299298.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1345086987.jpg
    image-1345086987.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 96
Gboy66 said:
Ohh...that is an awesome idea!!!! Putty? Is there a special adhesive we need?

We want to make a big mound on the left, and an island on the right with an overhang connecting the two. Possible with glue?

EDIT: could i do the same but with all live rock?

You could use silicone or putty (preferably silicone) to hold everything together. I don't think it'll work with live rock since it's wet and the silicone or putty won't stick.

Ibrahim said:
Nope it's an artificial coral insert

I thought so..so do you recommend 99% base and glueing it all, and a little live?

Ibrahim-do you QT?

I have some of the petco putty. It is an epoxy, real neat stuff. It has a very difficult time sticking to LR that is already in your tank due to it already being wet. I was able to get my one mushroom on one, due to it only being a polyp, but my colt coral was to large and waved around to actually stick. I'm going to get a gel for him as it would be much easier.

Sniperhank said:
I have some of the petco putty. It is an epoxy, real neat stuff. It has a very difficult time sticking to LR that is already in your tank due to it already being wet. I was able to get my one mushroom on one, due to it only being a polyp, but my colt coral was to large and waved around to actually stick. I'm going to get a gel for him as it would be much easier.

Lol thats what I do too. Super glue gel works real well.

Gboy66 said:
I thought so..so do you recommend 99% base and glueing it all, and a little live?

Ibrahim-do you QT?

That's what I did and I like the look alot. Maybe 30lbs base and 2lbs live. Believe it or not I don't QT. I tried it before but the fish died in QT. I've only had one or two sick fish in my almost 3 years of SW. And that was a Blue tang. Here's an example for what I did for my 5g before I upgraded. I left a space on the left for the live rock.

Attachments

• image-613653610.jpg
    image-613653610.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 94
zacheyp said:
hey guys how'a your build going, any pics?

Haha the build has stayed te same! We are waiting for christmas, then we will officially start to cycle! Haha its ok because we know the stock for sure and have had time to think out many decisions!

Ibrahim said:
That's what I did and I like the look alot. Maybe 30lbs base and 2lbs live. Believe it or not I don't QT. I tried it before but the fish died in QT. I've only had one or two sick fish in my almost 3 years of SW. And that was a Blue tang. Here's an example for what I did for my 5g before I upgraded. I left a space on the left for the live rock.

This is a very good idea! I like it

Ibrahim said:

Lovin it man, looks great.

zacheyp said:
hey guys how'a your build going, any pics?

Lol ya man wev been at a standstill...cash is hard to come by when your young. Thats okay! We will be starting it up after christmas!!!

I would use live rock, as live rock is your main filtration and if you don't have live rock there isn't very much in the way of live rock.

Also liverock looks much better.

My latest full tank shot to show you:
img_1704581_0_27d0b00ef06f8dc4bd051a3f4f2d5399.jpg

fishy5559 said:
I would use live rock, as live rock is your main filtration and if you don't have live rock there isn't very much in the way of live rock.

Also liverock looks much better.

My latest full tank shot to show you:

It depends on what kind of liverock a person gets. Usually the rock is expensive when it's covered in Coraline. IMO I like the bright white color of the base rock and It will still be a source of filtration. That's what I was told when I first joined this hobby and I ended up paying a crap load for 75lbs or liverock. I wish I went base but I didn't. But my 75g has baserock in it and I couldn't be happier with it. Just my 2 cents :)

I've been told base rock is useless because It doesn't filter the water very much

Yes it can be more expensive, but you get what you pay for with most things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom