GBOY & NU NU 30 gal saltwater build!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gregcoyote said:
$2.95 per pound when he got his a few weeks ago.

Oh, so do you think it woupd be more cost-effective to buy all eco reef saver rock, 35 lbs and still get free shipping...OR...get 10 lbs of live rock from a guy on craigslist for 2$/lb (if it is of good quality), and buy, say, 25 lbs of that reef saver rock. The shipping would probably make the 2nd option alot more expensive. I just REALLY like that reef saver...i dunno

You could go either way. The reef saver rock is sterile, the Craig's list rock is live, but with what? If you have time, I would use mostly reef saver rock and buy a small amount of good quality live rock, then wait a spell. Half the cycling of a new tank is from dead stuff on the "live" rock deteriorating after shipment.

Gregcoyote said:
My son just bought some. He thought he got a good deal. The rock looks really cool. I would be careful of other quarried rock as it might have some solvable minerals in it you won't want. Remember here is no water weight with this and BRS ships any order over $100 for free...

It's 175 now....

Gboy66 said:
Oh, so do you think it woupd be more cost-effective to buy all eco reef saver rock, 35 lbs and still get free shipping...OR...get 10 lbs of live rock from a guy on craigslist for 2$/lb (if it is of good quality), and buy, say, 25 lbs of that reef saver rock. The shipping would probably make the 2nd option alot more expensive. I just REALLY like that reef saver...i dunno

I added 41lbs of rock to the cart and it came up to $102 then $24 shipping. You can check to see what it's like

Gregcoyote said:
You could go either way. The reef saver rock is sterile, the Craig's list rock is live, but with what? If you have time, I would use mostly reef saver rock and buy a small amount of good quality live rock, then wait a spell. Half the cycling of a new tank is from dead stuff on the "live" rock deteriorating after shipment.

Hmm..i really want reef saver rock, so just maybe buy 35 lbs of that, and another 5-10 of live? Do i order high quality live, or go to a nice lfs?

As for the cycling, even if there is no die-off, would the raw shrimp that i am going to add to the tank for cycling work just as well?

Gboy66 said:
Hmm..i really want reef saver rock, so just maybe buy 35 lbs of that, and another 5-10 of live? Do i order high quality live, or go to a nice lfs?

As for the cycling, even if there is no die-off, would the raw shrimp that i am going to add to the tank for cycling work just as well?

Sounds good. I'd go to an LFS and hand pick nice pieces and you'll be fine if you use shrimp.

Gregcoyote said:
I guess my friends and I will cluster our orders together.

Lol i have no fish friends! I wish i had done careys bulk reef discount buy

Ibrahim said:
Sounds good. I'd go to an LFS and hand pick nice pieces and you'll be fine if you use shrimp.

Cool..so how much is shipping? Just o to their site and find out?

Ok i just looked...87$ for the 35 lbs
And the shipping comes out to 31$...

Grand total: 118 (not including the 5-10 lbs of quality LR i plan to buy at the lfs later on)

Gboy66 said:
Ok i just looked...87$ for the 35 lbs
And the shipping comes out to 31$...

Grand total: 118 (not including the 5-10 lbs of quality LR i plan to buy at the lfs later on)

Wow..... I don't think it's worth it. It's not that big of a difference from Reefcleaners. I've used both btw

Ibrahim said:
Wow..... I don't think it's worth it. It's not that big of a difference from Reefcleaners. I've used both btw

Reefcleaners? Hows their stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom