Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2011, 01:27 AM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
I think this is it as of right now!
nice!!

Old 11-25-2011, 01:32 AM   #342
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheyp

nice!!
Thanks! We still need a filter, 2 powerheads, LR, and thats it i think..

Old 11-25-2011, 01:32 AM   #343
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade

Those are nice pumps, and thats an ok price, but the nanos are not nearly enough pump for a 30gal tank. I've got two of the #2 running in a 20gal high.
Ya! Ya know, i was looking around for where it said "550" or "750" but it didnt! I guess we wont go with those ones. What about these?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=36955100092
Old 11-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #344
AA Team Emeritus

Don't know anything about that particular powerhead, looks like a Koralia knockoff to me. If I were spending the money, I'd go with a powerhead that has the reputation and warranty backing up its price. JMO

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 11-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #345
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, do you suggest buying filter-powerheads-LR or..
LR-Filter-Powerheads
Old 11-25-2011, 01:41 AM   #346
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Don't know anything about that particular powerhead, looks like a Koralia knockoff to me. If I were spending the money, I'd go with a powerhead that has the reputation and warranty backing up its price. JMO
Ok, i might just go with a link for a powerhead i saw on here....somewhere! Haha
Old 11-25-2011, 01:44 AM   #347
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
Okay, do you suggest buying filter-powerheads-LR or..
LR-Filter-Powerheads
By filter do you mean protein skimmer or you talking another filter? If you're buying a sufficient quantity of LR and Powerheads that provide plenty of flow, you will not need an additional filter. As for the powerheads and LR, you will have to buy them together or buy the filters first and then the LR. LR and its critters will not survive long term with ample water movement.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 11-25-2011, 01:47 AM   #348
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

By filter do you mean protein skimmer or you talking another filter? If you're buying a sufficient quantity of LR and Powerheads that provide plenty of flow, you will not need an additional filter. As for the powerheads and LR, you will have to buy them together or buy the filters first and then the LR. LR and its critters will not survive long term with ample water movement.
We were thinking the 2 nice 550 korolia powerheads, and 30-40 lbs of rock. So we wouldnt need another filter? We also have a protein skimmer, and an older 10 gallon aquon filter.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:25 AM   #349
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
We were thinking the 2 nice 550 korolia powerheads, and 30-40 lbs of rock. So we wouldnt need another filter? We also have a protein skimmer, and an older 10 gallon aquon filter.
No, if you have sufficient flow and that amount of LR, you will not need an additional filter. What is sufficient flow, totally depends on the type of corals you plan on keeping down the road.

Quote:
If soft corals are being kept in the aquarium then flow should be provided which is ten times the net water volume of the aquarium. If hard corals are being kept then water flow should be provided which is in the region of thirty times the net water volume of the aquarium. As said this is a general rule of thumb and is primarily based upon a minimum requirement. It is not uncommon for reef tanks to have water flow in the region of sixty times the net water volume or more.
Little light reading you might want to look over as you're consider flow

Advanced Beginnings: The Basics Of Water Movement In The Reef Aquarium — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water flow is more important for corals — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water flow is more important for corals than light. Part 1. Introduction to Gas Exchange — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water flow is more important for corals than light. Part II: The science of corals and water flow — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water Flow is More Important for Corals Than Light Part 4: Basics of Hydrodynamics — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water Flow is More Important for Corals Than Light, Part V — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

You will certainly be ok starting with two, especially if you plan on not adding corals until later. If you plan on keeping any type of the more demanding SPS down the road, you will need more flow. Also keep in mind though that adding powerheads down the road may mean that you have to change your aquascape as well. Just something to consider.

That said keep in mind that the koralias provide a pretty directional flow (and with the older ones, if you put the small plastic piece on the outside, it was also a very small outlet). By leaving the small plastic piece off, you could increase the size of the flow, and I definitely recommend that. I'm not familiar with the newer version, so can't speak to that.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #350
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

No, if you have sufficient flow and that amount of LR, you will not need an additional filter. What is sufficient flow, totally depends on the type of corals you plan on keeping down the road.

Quote:
If soft corals are being kept in the aquarium then flow should be provided which is ten times the net water volume of the aquarium. If hard corals are being kept then water flow should be provided which is in the region of thirty times the net water volume of the aquarium. As said this is a general rule of thumb and is primarily based upon a minimum requirement. It is not uncommon for reef tanks to have water flow in the region of sixty times the net water volume or more.
Little light reading you might want to look over as you're consider flow

Advanced Beginnings: The Basics Of Water Movement In The Reef Aquarium — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water flow is more important for corals — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water flow is more important for corals than light. Part 1. Introduction to Gas Exchange — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water flow is more important for corals than light. Part II: The science of corals and water flow — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water Flow is More Important for Corals Than Light Part 4: Basics of Hydrodynamics — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Feature Article: Water Flow is More Important for Corals Than Light, Part V — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

You will certainly be ok starting with two, especially if you plan on not adding corals until later. If you plan on keeping any type of the more demanding SPS down the road, you will need more flow. Also keep in mind though that adding powerheads down the road may mean that you have to change your aquascape as well. Just something to consider.

That said keep in mind that the koralias provide a pretty directional flow (and with the older ones, if you put the small plastic piece on the outside, it was also a very small outlet). By leaving the small plastic piece off, you could increase the size of the flow, and I definitely recommend that. I'm not familiar with the newer version, so can't speak to that.
Well, we plan on keeping more of the basic corals, since our light wouldnt be able to support any of the more advanced ones. Plus, we dont have the experience yet.

As for the korolias, several people recommended them earlier in the thread, and i have seen them used before so i was planning on getting those. But, if you have had an experirnce with another powerhead that you like, by all means say so! I would love to know.

Also, for the korolias and powerhead flow in general, were do you point them? on opposite sides of the wall from side to side? Of on both sides, but pointed more diagonally twoards the front, to make a sort of pinball type flow? Lol

Thanks so much for all of the articles Wy, i knew that powerheads were important in sw home aquaria, but not THAT important! I learned alot, and i am gratfull

Tags
build, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com