GBOY & NU NU 30 gal saltwater build!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
KAhner said:
Personally I wouldn't. Test tomorrow and if everything looks good do a pwc and slowly start stocking!!!

You have to remember it took the bacteria a few weeks to bring the ammo and trite down. It has to take a day or less for the bacteria to bring them down otherwise it won't keep up with the fishes waste

Sweet! Okay we just bought some brine shrimp to feed to the saltwater fish once
We get some... Would all of the fish eat it? I just added another cube of mysis

Ibrahim said:
You have to remember it took the bacteria a few weeks to bring the ammo and trite down. It has to take a day or less for the bacteria to bring them down otherwise it won't keep up with the fishes waste

Actually it took that long mostly just to spike. From my experience the majority of the cycle is waiting for the spike. After that it's really fast.

KAhner said:
Actually it took that long mostly just to spike. From my experience the majority of the cycle is waiting for the spike. After that it's really fast.

Spike can appear in 3 days. If we were just waiting for a spike, tanks would cycle in no time. The majority of a cycle is waiting for bacteria to grow. But once your levels are down it's pretty fast after that.

Ibrahim said:
Spike can appear in 3 days. If we were just waiting for a spike, tanks would cycle in no time. The majority of a cycle is waiting for bacteria to grow. But once your levels are down it's pretty fast after that.

Should the mysis in te tank be producing ammo and breaking down today? How long should that take?

KAhner said:
Yea but the colony is growing while it's spiking. I've done all my cycles without ever dosing and never had any problems.

How do you cycle then?

Just let it do it's thing. But I've never seen a spike that fast either. It usually takes about a week or so for the spike. And about three weeks for a full cycle. Then I'll just put in a few inverts and go from there. I guess dosing might make it go faster. But if your nit planning on throwing in a bunch of fish I don't see any real point of growing an abundance of bb, that is probably going to starve and die off anyway.

KAhner said:
Just let it do it's thing. But I've never seen a spike that fast either. It usually takes about a week or so for the spike. And about three weeks for a full cycle. Then I'll just put in a few inverts and go from there. I guess dosing might make it go faster. But if your nit planning on throwing in a bunch of fish I don't see any real point of growing an abundance of bb, that is probably going to starve and die off anyway.

But it doesn't mean it can still handle a fish yet. It may take a couple days to bring the ammonia down the second time you dose. By spike do you mean ammo or nitrite?

K guys, tested the water this morning and it was ammo, 0 nitrite, 0.....what!? Does this mean

A. The BB has converted that 2nd mysis cube over night??

B. I didnt test nitrate, so could that be off the charts?
Or
C. Has the mysis not even broken down yet and ammonia is still to come?

I have a feeling we are getying closer!

look at the tank, is the mysis cube still intact in the tank? I'm pretty sure it takes 12+hrs for it to start to really decay. but I'd agree you're probably very close if not done with cycle

NyteGTI said:
look at the tank, is the mysis cube still intact in the tank? I'm pretty sure it takes 12+hrs for it to start to really decay. but I'd agree you're probably very close if not done with cycle

We didnt dissolve the cube in the tank, we dissolved it in a cup then added them. I cant test the trates yet, school. I barely had the time for the other tests lol! We will see after school! Should the nitrates be way high?

Gboy66 said:
We didnt dissolve the cube in the tank, we dissolved it in a cup then added them. I cant test the trates yet, school. I barely had the time for the other tests lol! We will see after school! Should the nitrates be way high?

Your trates should be 20 or under.

Ibrahim said:
Your trates should be 20 or under.

Okay cool! I will be testing tonight! So if they are 20 should i do a water change and get them down?

When i add snails and hermits, what types?

Gboy66 said:
Okay cool! I will be testing tonight! So if they are 20 should i do a water change and get them down?

When i add snails and hermits, what types?

Yea just do a WC and some red legged hermits or blue, nerites, and if you have enough algae, then add 1 turbo snail.

Ibrahim said:
Yea just do a WC and some red legged hermits or blue, nerites, and if you have enough algae, then add 1 turbo snail.

Nice! What about nassasus? (sp?)

I wrongly bout nassarius snails and one is already dead. They live in the sand bed and need it to be more seasoned. My tank is new and there isnt enough food in the sand bed yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom