Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #751
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Ok, ill do this. But..could we just fill up the tank now? We could probably finish making the water by tomorrow. I know that the sand would make the water cloudy, but can we do it?
You could. I did it before and all it did was make my tank cloudy for 3 days. Remember to not turn on any pumps or filters until your tanks becomes clear. It's a mistake I wish I didnt make since my impellers were damaged pretty badly.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #752
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

You could. I did it before and all it did was make my tank cloudy for 3 days. Remember to not turn on any pumps or filters until your tanks becomes clear. It's a mistake I wish I didnt make since my impellers were damaged pretty badly.
Oh crud! So just pour in all the water now and ONLY turn on pumps and such when the water is completly clear? Does it matter that the water will be still, not moving?

Ok, im going to add the water!

Old 12-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #753
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Oh crud! So just pour in all the water now and ONLY turn on pumps and such when the water is completly clear? Does it matter that the water will be still, not moving?

Ok, im going to add the water!
Only turn on the pumps when the sand settles and the water is clear. Afterwards you can turn on the pump. Add sand then water to reduce cloudiness
Old 12-31-2011, 10:31 PM   #754
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ya, only problem is that we have added water first. Sooo, more waiting lol
Old 01-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #755
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok, so im confused about the whole adding salt thing. Now, im know wev added roughly 15 gallons to the tank, and we have another 5 gallons that we havent added yet and another bucket filling up.

Question is, how do i know exactly how much salt to add? Just a rough estimate? If i have too high of a salinity after, how do i lower it?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #756
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok, so im confused about the whole adding salt thing. Now, im know wev added roughly 15 gallons to the tank, and we have another 5 gallons that we havent added yet and another bucket filling up.

Question is, how do i know exactly how much salt to add? Just a rough estimate? If i have too high of a salinity after, how do i lower it?
Add 14 cups of salt then just fill up your tank with RO/DI water. It should make your salinity around 1.024
Old 01-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #757
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

Add 14 cups of salt then just fill up your tank with RO/DI water. It should make your salinity around 1.024
So, whats the math behind the 14 cups? The package said .5 cups per gallon, but what if i dont know the exact number of gallons?

Thanks for putting up with all my questions ibrahim..
Old 01-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #758
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

So, whats the math behind the 14 cups? The package said .5 cups per gallon, but what if i dont know the exact number of gallons?

Thanks for putting up with all my questions ibrahim..
Your tank is 29g so 14 cups makes 28g about a gallon or two is taken up by the volume of the sand alone. Your goal should be 1.024-27 for a reef and 1.021-24 for a FOWLR. The directions is for 1.023 SG so I figured it'd leave room for you to add more salt if the SG was too low as opposed to adding more RO if it was too high. And np just here to help.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:41 AM   #759
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

Your tank is 29g so 14 cups makes 28g about a gallon or two is taken up by the volume of the sand alone. Your goal should be 1.024-27 for a reef and 1.021-24 for a FOWLR. The directions is for 1.023 SG so I figured it'd leave room for you to add more salt if the SG was too low as opposed to adding more RO if it was too high. And np just here to help.
Ok, so if i wanted to add all the water now, i would put around 14 cups of salt in the very last bucket?

How much salt does it take to mess with the salinity? Like, if i accidentally added 1 more cup of salt, would that change the salinity up or down one point?

Also, can i run the powerheads/filters/skimmer when i am done adding the water? (there is no sand or anything else in the tank)
Old 01-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #760
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Ok, so if i wanted to add all the water now, i would put around 14 cups of salt in the very last bucket?

How much salt does it take to mess with the salinity? Like, if i accidentally added 1 more cup of salt, would that change the salinity up or down one point?

Also, can i run the powerheads/filters/skimmer when i am done adding the water? (there is no sand or anything else in the tank)
Um.... I'm not sure but it might make it rise by one point. You can add the salt in the last bucket. And yes you can turn on the pumps etc now but not the protein skimmer until you have the salt in your tank.

Tags
build, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com