GBOY & NU NU 30 gal saltwater build!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ones from Fishneedit.com look nice, their hard to get on though. They also have hanging kits which I am thinking about buying.

needmorecowbell said:
The ones from Fishneedit.com look nice, their hard to get on though. They also have hanging kits which I am thinking about buying.

Oh a hanging kit would be cool! Are legs expensive? Can they fit on all fixtures

severum mama said:
No, they are brand specific. What brand of fixture do you have?

Coralife 2 bulb t5

We have just been informed that our rock is on the doorstep!!!! My sister texted me "live rock is here!" while i was in class lol! Its base rock!

Here they are!!

Should we rinse them? They are like chalky haha

Attachments

• image-560357234.jpg
    image-560357234.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3505811435.jpg
    image-3505811435.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3169204026.jpg
    image-3169204026.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 83
My first rock scape idea! The rocks in the first pic will be the arc between the 2 mounds:):):)

Bueno? Imma keep on making them!!!

Attachments

• image-915007436.jpg
    image-915007436.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image-4253967803.jpg
    image-4253967803.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 87
The rock looks great! I started with the arch look and ended up switching it to more like a "U" shape because under the arch becomes dead space for any corals or other photosynthetic critters and the fish never really used it like I'd hoped. The "U" shape also gave me more visible and usable sand bed, and gave me more surface area to place corals at different depths according to lighting needs. Here's a pic to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

For this size setup the more usable space the better because atleast in my case it's filling up fast! Good luck tho! It's exciting to see everything coming together!

Attachments

• image-3642480797.jpg
    image-3642480797.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 93
no hes saying the first pic is the arch that will go between the 2 rocksi n the 2nd pic :)

but i agree with JLH.. I tried to make an arch but just ended up creating dead space so I went with a U

needmorecowbell said:
I like the first idea! The second may look like less rock when its in the tank but they both look nice.

Thanks guys!!!

We are having a tough time sticking the arcs together! They just keep falling apart! Pics will be up soon!!:):)

NyteGTI said:
no hes saying the first pic is the arch that will go between the 2 rocksi n the 2nd pic :)

but i agree with JLH.. I tried to make an arch but just ended up creating dead space so I went with a U

Dead space?

Coralife 2 bulb t5

We have just been informed that our rock is on the doorstep!!!! My sister texted me "live rock is here!" while i was in class lol! Its base rock!
Wait, didn't we determine that the fixture was a PC? If it's Coralife brand, the Coralife brand mounting legs will work with it. Check your fixture to be sure. There should be a "track" that the mounting legs will screw into. You can buy them for about 7 bucks from a lfs or certainly, they will be easy to find online. That just gets your light fixture a couple of inches above the tank trim so much less danger of splashing if you use a mesh top. Salt creep us NOT good for light fixtures, or anything else. Lol.

*edit* I really like the rock arrangement that you showed in your latest photos. Good job.

Last edited:
severum mama said:
Wait, didn't we determine that the fixture was a PC? If it's Coralife brand, the Coralife brand mounting legs will work with it. Check your fixture to be sure. There should be a "track" that the mounting legs will screw into. You can buy them for about 7 bucks from a lfs or certainly, they will be easy to find online. That just gets your light fixture a couple of inches above the tank trim so much less danger of splashing if you use a mesh top. Salt creep us NOT good for light fixtures, or anything else. Lol.

*edit* I really like the rock arrangement that you showed in your latest photos. Good job.

Ah yes i think it is a pc. I didnt see tracks on the fixture, but i definitly saw screws, maybe thats where the legs would go. I will definitly check for the legs online, and most likely make the mesh top during the cycling process. That will be a time of waiting lol.

That salt buildup really is annoying, i feel lile i need to wipe it down every time i see it haha!

Thank you! We just finished glueing/hold-fasting the final arrangment together. I hope you all will like it, as i certainly do.

Question: what is the best way to lift the entire structure into the tank? We were thinking just having like 3 people help, but im very afraid that the glue will all come apart and the arch wont support itself anymore. Any ideas?

Pics will come in the morning, or whenever i get up tomorrow! Lol, we have been working on this formation for awhile, so im beat!! :)

Ok guys!!!! Done!!! How you all like it??

Note: the piece under the arch is under debate if we should keep it there or move it. Suggestions??

Attachments

• image-2161144557.jpg
    image-2161144557.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 81
  • image-145557298.jpg
    image-145557298.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2277908833.jpg
    image-2277908833.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 69
  • image-2479895077.jpg
    image-2479895077.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 72
Gboy66 said:
Ok guys!!!! Done!!! How you all like it??

Note: the piece under the arch is under debate if we should keep it there or move it. Suggestions??

If its a secured, I love it! But didn't even get my feet wet yet in saltwater. But non the less, I like it!

If you are like me that wont be your final layout. All through my cycle i rearranged my rock. I just moved some around this week to help circulation and to get my gsp better flow. That move has made me unhappy with the layout and im plotting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom