GBTA Splitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Came home from school to see the nem half way done splitting. I have some questions about this. First, what causes nems to split besides reproducing? Does it mean they're healthy? Also, does it take long for the nem to heal back up?

image-2913709536.jpg

I think it usually means they are having trouble surviving so they split to have better chances of survival.... Not exactly sure on that though i just heard it. I hope its doin ok man!

Yah it's been going at it for days now. Before the split it was all healthy looking so we'll see.

Yea i think nu-nu is right. My rbta just split recently. Came home to find the water level in my sump was low so my return pump had been spitting microbubbles into the main tank all day. Then i noticed my RBTA split and were on seperate rocks. I guess it had gotten stressed out by the bubbles and cloned itself. Now 3 weeks later they are both almost as big as it was before the split. I love it!

I've read that they split for one of two reasons: either they're so happy and life is so perfect that they want to reproduce and make more to enjoy the euto

I've read that they split for one of two reasons: either they're so happy and life is so perfect that they want to reproduce and make more to enjoy the euto

Hit send too early :/
(Continued)....to enjoy the utopia, or they think they might die and will have a better chance of one part surviving if they split into two smaller parts. Not sure which reason yours would be.

They split due to poor conditions, it is a survival reaction. If you have poor lighting and or water conditions, they usually do not make it after splitting. You will lose 1 or maybe both since they are now week. Looking back over old post, you were advised 3 weeks ago that your lighting was not sufficient for a nem. If you want to save them, you need better lighting.

Holygral said:
They split due to poor conditions, it is a survival reaction. If you have poor lighting and or water conditions, they usually do not make it after splitting. You will lose 1 or maybe both since they are now week. Looking back over old post, you were advised 3 weeks ago that your lighting was not sufficient for a nem. If you want to save them, you need better lighting.

It's not that my lighting isn't sufficient. I've heard a lot of people on this thread use a 4 bulb t5 ho fixture and kept their nem for years. Yes it might not be 300 dollar LEDs or metal hallides but its doing the job....also my water conditions are spot on. Water changes every week to keep them stable. Nem looked healthy before the split even began so idk if it would split due to stress.

Back
Top Bottom