General Coral Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mykpoz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

As my tanks cycle moves along, I have started to think about the Corals and Inhabitants that will soon flourish within the tank.

With that being said.

I have a 75g, with a 4 bulb T5 setup, 60lbs of sand and another 100lbs+ of LR (closer to 120lbs.)

I have started looking at the LFS and they do have a small frag selection.

What my question is, what types of corals are easy/fast growing that I should look at frags, then a second question, what types of corals should I stay away from due to slowness.

As an example, it seems that green star polyps are easy to keep and also grow fairly fast. And, on the other side sits a maze brain coral (which I have been told that it is a slow grower.)

TIA

helly mykpoz and welcome to AA. It looks like you have been here a while but this is the first time I have replied to one of your posts. Anyhow green star polyps are probally the best beginner coral and one of the fastest growing corals. The best part about Star Polyps is not only are they hardy and fast to cover rocks, they are really gorgeous corals too!

I started with a small rock of polyps and now, about 9 months later I have two totally covered rocks and the back glass of my tank is starting to get covered. Colony polyps of various types are also good hardy corals that grow and reproduce quickly.

Even pulsing Xenia is quick to reproduce and a neat and hardy coral to keep. Although if you have any dwarf angels I would advise against brain corals or xenia since they seem to be a good snack for these fish.

Back
Top Bottom