General Fish Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faerykisses

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello to all. :D This is my first post, and I am so happy to find others who know so much about this subject. I just have a few questions if you don't mind. My boyfriend and I just put our first fish in and I have been anxiously watching my fish behavior. Just a few notes, we have a 55 gal tank with 20 lbs of live rock. We started with 4 damsels and one coral banded shrimp. (I looove my shrimp) First off, the damsels seemed to do ok, the black (Domino) being the most aggressive. However, they are small and they do not use the whole tank. Meaning, they swim in the same spots and do not venture to the other side of the tank. Is this normal for new fish? I fear that the aggressive Domino is keeping the other fish in their spots. When feeding they come out and use more of the tank, but for the most part they all hang out in the same spot, not together though. Its as if they have each picked a spot and that's where they stay. Also, my shrimp seems to go back to the same spot in the tank often. As far as I can tell he hasn't ventured to the other side of the tank either. I am worried that it might be the current or the bad attitude of the Domino. Any insight anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

P.S. Also, I have seen shrimp at the LFS eating frozen shrimp. Can I give regular frozen shrimp to my shrimp? (stoopid question?)

New girl
-Faerykisses

I think the first thing you should provide us with are your water paramiters and how long you have had the tank, when it finished its cycle and whatever other information you can provide us with.

I would suggest getiing rid of all but one damsel especially the domino as they are very aggressive as they get older. You probably won't be able to add anything else as it will definately get harrassed by your damsels

I think if the fish are doing well, coming out to eat etc, they have just established their home territories. I do not see any reason to remove them if you are content with them.

As far as feeding regular shrimp that is bought at the grocers, you could feed this if it is chopped up very small. Other options to feed them would be mysis shrimp, bloodworms and other frozen foods that can be found at the petstore. You might also try flake food now and then. Even the shrimp will eat it.

DragonForce said:
I think the first thing you should provide us with are your water paramiters and how long you have had the tank, when it finished its cycle and whatever other information you can provide us with.

why? the question asked is behavioral.

What do you ultimately want in your tank - as far as fish (what kinds?) and other inhabitants go? Fish only? Reef?

And of course, a good "welcome to AA" is in order! :smilecolros:

My testing is as follows:

Amonia level = zero
Nitrate= 10
Nitrite =0
Ph= 8.2

Just tested last night. Our levels seems ok, but I am worried about my yellow tail and my 3 striped. Both of them are hiding in rocks this morning. The yellow tail has two scales that look white on his side, and the 3 striped had a cut on his side when we got him (didn't notice until we got home :( ) and now he has like some deterioration around his head, he is also breathing quite rapidly. Not sure what to do, I think maybe these fish were just not healthy when I got them from LFS.

Background info:We started the tank in October. and put the live rock in on 10-22-05 it came from our LFS and was already cured. At this time we did a 20% water change to get the salinity right, and we didn't put the fish in until 11-5-05. The shrimp went in 11-6-05. We used the Biospyra, which I have read on here is not good, but our local LFS recommended it. The shrimp seems to be doing fine and so does the Domino and the Clear damsel, but the yellow tail and the 3 striped look sick or something...

In the future I would love some soft corals, anemones, some tangs and other fish besides the damsels. I would like to keep the clear damsel as he is timid and shy, and doesn't bother anyone. I think I will take the Domino back this weekend to the LFS.

I appreciate all you comments/help/advise. TIA.

The thing about damsels seem to be that as the first ones in they are OK, but when more expensive fish are added later, the damsels have become territorial by then and bother the newcomers. Not true in ALL cases, but they do have that kinda reputation.

Also, you say "some" tangs. One only, and not most of the favorites will do well in a 55g tank.

Keep an eye on the ammonia to make sure that Bio Spira dosn't fall short of establishing the needed bacteria since you've added fish.

P.S. - I had to live/work in Austin back in 1990. Lived up in Phlugerville (sp?). Kicked and screamed when I had to come back here. Beautiful town. Sunsets in the hill country/Lake Travis. My son was "made" there. Get it? "Austinsdad". :roll:

Also keep an eye on that LFS's recommendations. Gonna need maybe 4 times more rock if your ultimate reef is to take off. Maybe around 80 lbs ultimately.

Good luck.

I actually do live in Pflugerville, right outside of Austin. Everything is so big here now though it's like one big town. It is very beautiful here, and I could never imagine leaving the Austin area. Thanks for the advise.

Any other adivse on my sick/hiding damsels? :cry: TIA.

The "shy" damsel will become the agressor once the "Agressive" damsel is removed. ESPECIALLY if he's alone in the tank for any amount of time. He will decide that the entire tank is his and not worthy of visitors. That's just the way damsels are, especially as they get older. Chromis are a much more passive alternative that is equally hardy.

You should QT your sick fish in a system where you can keep the water quality pristine and more closely monitor them. It would provide a good environment for an antibiotic treatment or Melafix. It will also provide them an opportunity to feed unhindered by the healthy damsels.

Thanks for the advice, I will take it. Although I am curious as to why these two fish would get sick. Our water quality seems to be good, actually all our levels looked right on. And the other two fish are fine, as well as the shrimp. Could it be that they were just sick before I bought them home?

Oh and thanks for the help and the Welcome. I heart it here.

The 3 striped damsel and the yellow tail damsel died sometime yesterday afternoon. :cry: The LFS replaced the 3 striped one, but the new one is even more aggressive than the other one was. We are without a yellow tail now. I feel really bad for them.

As the others have said damsels can be mean SOBs, and if there not your fav fish I would take them back to the LFS for credit. I listened to a LFS when I first got into the hobby and he said 7 yellow tailed damsels would be great in a 125 reef. so I got them and they would fight all the time with each other. The only time they got together was when i added a new fish, they would gang up on the new guy and beat them until they were dead. So I was limited to the fish i could get at first. 3 years later I still have 2 left and they do not bother any other fish now. Its tough when a 5$ fish kills a $25 fish.

Back
Top Bottom