Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I heard a theory on birdsnest somewhere throughout my travels.

It's best to buy them as small frags rather than full colonies because they will have grown to adapt to the flow that they were in. When moved to a different area with flow that it wasn't accustomed to it can cause die off.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I heard a theory on birdsnest somewhere throughout my travels.

It's best to buy them as small frags rather than full colonies because they will have grown to adapt to the flow that they were in. When moved to a different area with flow that it wasn't accustomed to it can cause die off.
This is true of any tightly grouped SPS. Tabling acros, etc. Not only are they used to water going past them at ridiculous speeds (especially if wild collected) but also from certain directions primarily, and this has been adapted into their growth pattern. Even the angle of light SPS is getting. It's very common to experience some sort of whiting on larger colonies. It's best to immediately frag a wild colony before even putting in captivity.

Another thing I'd hit on birds nest is in a low flow environment these guys grow like twigs and break really easily. Gosh isn't annoying for those of us with hands in often? Or with larger fish even. The higher flow will force the skeleton to be more sturdy. It will also really get those small polyps to reveal themselves.

It is also true with more focus on other elements part of the skeleton than calcium such as strontium there will be a stronger, sturdier skeleton structure as well.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer James View Post
Oh hey and also Chemipure does not work in saltwater... The resins do not work in sea water.
you have said this before.
could you elaborate and provide supporting documentation?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

General thought on reef keeping

I'm sorry, but that is inaccurate. It works in both FW and SW.

http://boyd--enterprises.com/chemipure/

I do however agree with you about the birdsnest and other acros, they do "beef up" if they grow in high flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
you have said this before.
could you elaborate and provide supporting documentation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I'm sorry, but that is inaccurate. It works in both FW and SW.

Boyd Enterprises | Chemipure - Boyd Enterprises

I do however agree with you about the birdsnest and other acros, they do "beef up" if they grow in high flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Of course Boyd would make have their claims on their website too?

Let's open the discussion then on why chemi pure is ridiculous.

Basically it's GFO, Purigen, an alternative to carbon, and some ion resins. I'm sure the GFO will act like most GFOs do. The white stuff in there is basically a polymer exchange resin that can bind some organics. Pretty much like seachem purigen. The carbon is really just carbon unless it's extracting different types of organics. Which is unlikely, but could be complimentary to carbon if this is so.

GFO, Purigen, and Carbon all have different life spans. Why throw it all in one media bag when you can save money and itemize things out and use them to each 100% capability rather than throwing out good product.

The claims are that it removes nutrients. So yes obviously the GFO will remove some phosphate. The Purigen alternative will absorb all organics that lead to nitrate basically. An ion exchange resin in seawater will not usefully absort most inorganic ions such as ammonium, nitrate, or phosphate. There may be some heavy metals it can still get but not working towards the claims they're making.

Great product for a freshwater situation, but in seawater they just don't work..

And let's think about the sizing options for CPE? Dang you gotta use a lot of that stuff for bigger tanks. Why not just get a $12 100ML bag of purigen that lasts 6 months, some GFO in bulk, and a quality carbon. You're saving money and not putting wasted products in the tank.

So I wouldn't say it's an inaccurate claim considering the ion resins they're claiming are responsible for nutrient export do not work. It's the polymer ion taking ammonia basically, and GFO removing phosphate and a cheap carbon. I mean what's the appeal here?
Old 07-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Not having appeal to you and not working are two different statements. I've used the stuff before and it did decently...I much prefer using Purigen and Phosguard in my system.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Not having appeal to you and not working are two different statements. I've used the stuff before and it did decently...I much prefer using Purigen and Phosguard in my system.

I should have been more specific when I said do not work I specifically meant the ion exchange resins do not. They just don't do what they claim they do in seawater.

In my response I further explained why the product is not appealing but explained the benefits that they can offer. Thanks

Please understand the product is composed of many many things and portions of it simply DONT WORK. The ones I listed out can I be bought individually (and more cost effectively) if their benefits are appealing...
Old 07-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #18
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

No, it doesn't work as well as running them individually. They work, just not as effectively as you want them too. And that is fine, if a product did everything that everyone wanted it to do there wouldn't be a need for other products. It is up to the consumer to decide if it is a fit for their tank. I wish it was for mine as replacing one thing every so many weeks is much easier than tracking the purigen, how many recharges are left on whichever batch, replacing the phosguard.... We are picking peanuts out of poop for an ease of use product.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you should revise your statement to chemipure doesn't work as effectively and cost efficiently as its individual compounds?
Old 07-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
No, it doesn't work as well as running them individually. They work, just not as effectively as you want them too. And that is fine, if a product did everything that everyone wanted it to do there wouldn't be a need for other products. It is up to the consumer to decide if it is a fit for their tank. I wish it was for mine as replacing one thing every so many weeks is much easier than tracking the purigen, how many recharges are left on whichever batch, replacing the phosguard.... We are picking peanuts out of poop for an ease of use product.

No I mean there are actually portions of that product that DO NOT work in seawater. Like actually don't work haha/

It's not a matter of effectiveness. It is true there are more effective products that we can buy in place of the portions of chemi-pure elite that do work. The benefit here is you don't have a product claiming no water changes needed and it works 4-6months on the back of the label. Carbon and GFO sure don't work that long hahaha... (I mean maybe in a reactor scenario where water is filtered through carbon reactor then immediately through a GFO reactor this would extend the GFO life, but thats not the case in the media bag. Dual stage reactors are sweet. Basically an RO filter for the tank..

So come one buddy, the labeling is inaccurate on the back and we know in saltwater the ion exchange resins (NOT THE POLYMER ION EXCHANGE) don't work.

Do you understand now?

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com