General thought on reef keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you have a few at this point. And I posted a direct quote about ion exchange. So careful man...

I'm sure if it was Sniperhank posting "Chemipure contains resins that do not function efficiently in saltwater, and some do not even do what they claim."there would not be as much crap headed his way as there is mine. But I guess for some reason I have the reputation of posting false information? Or do people just not want me to be correct?

as far as reputations and all that jazz, nobody has intimated any such thing as you suggest.
maybe your apparent arrogance is complicating matters.

Trust me, it's all about what you said and how you said it for me, nothing more or less.
I call anyone out when they toss out such definitive statements and expect others to accept just because they say it.

Personally I've had reservations about Chemi-Pure for going on about 25 years, main contention being the different lifespans of the materials used, even mentioned it here a few times, but I just wanted to see if you actually had anything to back up your claims or if you were just talking from another orifice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure if it was Sniperhank posting "Chemipure contains resins that do not function efficiently in saltwater, and some do not even do what they claim."there would not be as much crap headed his way as there is mine. But I guess for some reason I have the reputation of posting false information? Or do people just not want me to be correct?

If it were Sniperhank posting that then this entire thread would have a different tone. The only reason for that is he does not speak to others in an abrasive tone and will happily back up his information with research he has done.

Could you be correct? Absolutely! However, I have yet to see anything solid to back up your statement that "Chemipure does not work in saltwater... The resins do not work in sea water." and with the information presented my stance would be the exact same whether it was Sniperhank, Gregcoyote, Mr. X, or anyone on the entire forum.

We have an agreement that salt water likely shortens the functional lifespan of the ion exchange resin, but even then there is absolutely no way for us to know how much. Could it be a month? possibly. Could it be an hour? possibly. Without more specific information we will never know.

I have read quite a bit on the links posted by some regarding Chemipure and I have to say that its effectiveness may have something to do with its application. As Greg had mentioned it is recommended for small to medium tanks. Just like any other products the right ratio has to be adhered to. The thing is, if your tank is not that big and you want to remove those unwanted ions, would it not be more practical by just doing the simplest method? Chemipure and Purigen are temporary solution while a good ro/di would probably be better.

I think you have a few at this point. And I posted a direct quote about ion exchange. So careful man...

We're all spending our times posting on forums because we love the hobby. Why argue with me. Just expand your own knowledge and find I am talking about something you may not of even known about.

I don't think it has anything to do with that or who's opinions individually are better than others. I think you are getting all the rebuttal because of the way you are phrasing your posts. They seem quite arrogant at times. I don't think it is that people want you to be wrong it is just that you want so strongly to be right. Honestly your posts seem like your opinion is the only one and from my perspective (reading through all these posts - which is tiring because I just want to learn from all the forum posts I read) you are being slightly degrading to those who are offering their opinions. Just accept that people have differing opinions from yours and I think all this arguing back and fourth could have been eliminated..

Just my two cents. On a side note I do think that Chemipure has applications where it could be useful to an aquarist with a small tank, although there are more efficient ways to do this for larger tanks.

The thread has not come to an end yet. But I am sensing some tension. Remember there is no winners or losers in this thread. Anyone is welcome to add their input and not be flamed for it.. Just give your experience and opinion and move on. Dont try to be the winner as there are many ways to do things in this hobby. Stay Civil please.

It has for me. Your right, the attitudes became poisonous and not useful. I am here to discuss issues and ideas, not be lectured. But on with the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just like to default to the science behind something and then consider any anecdotal evidence.
In this case it appears that the use of ion exchange resins works in saltwater, but the length of time it remains active is in question.
So we then move on to the anecdotal evidence which has been amassed over the last 4 decades, and that evidence suggests that it does indeed work well in salt water.

I have long questioned the mixture and the stated longevity of boyd's products as in most circumstances the carbon will be exhausted long before the 6 month marker they claim.
The only real way to test it would be to test each individual component in as wide array of home system types and sizes as possible in order to determine the actual lifespan of each constituent and it's contribution to the overall performance of the product.

My personal experiences have all been positive, but I generally change it out at around the 10-12 week mark.
I did recently buy one of those packs of blue for nano tanks. Little packets, each is good for like five gallons and the whole bag treats 50 gallons. I dumped them all into the filter in my ten gallon housing my chalk bass and the water has stayed pristine and I feed that guy on average 6 times a day. (trying to get him big enough for the main tank)

I was really interested to see if reefer had new info to provide. I've already read boyd's info and the article by randy he mentioned.

I agree. It is a simplified product for hobbyists operating small systems that don't want to spend hours, as we do, on their fish tank. If they disposed of the packet every 30 days, who cares? Many of my old customers wouldn't take to reactors at all for a nano system.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom