Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2015, 10:03 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

General thought on reef keeping

Here is a interesting debate, frankly I don't use packaged products that are expensive. But many love this stuff.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2079994

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #32
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Either way, one would never want to suggest not to replace a product in...well lets just use a 30 day time frame just to have a nice number to use. We already openly agreed to that when discussing proper maintenance.
Still, people like this stuff and this has been a continued debate on if this stuff is useful or not. As I already said, I prefer my Phosguard and Purigen and will guide in the direction that has been successful for me...though GFO works as well I just can't keep it tumbling right in my dual reactor.
Hindsight is always 20/20 when mistakes are made, but there are many ways to build a successful path through this hobby. I like my route, you like yours, and some like chemi-pure. The same debate will go on from LEDs to bulbed units...but both sure do grow coral.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:34 PM   #33

I don't think I've ever said I know it all. I just defend what I do know... Especially since it's live animals we're talking about :/
Old 07-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No one will search for themselves.
You all had some incredible teachers to make it this far with such negative outlooks to new info.
Chemipure from the Horses mouth - Reef Central Online Community
It is nice when one can prove themselves correct (or innocent) but that is not how it works,
You should be able to prove one wrong(guilty) to convict?
Open minds and the willingness to learn will go a long way IMO!
Old 07-13-2015, 10:53 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

General thought on reef keeping

Good article. I like a good debate, but balk at being lectured too. It's a matter of style. Some of my fishy friends are recognized experts and old timers with years of experience, yet they share their insight in a digestible way. They also acknowledge there are usually multiple sides to a debate. Chemipure works great for a easy, exchangeable, all in one product for small reefs that don't have the room or want the complexity of media reactors. That's my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-13-2015, 11:08 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
You all had some incredible teachers to make it this far with such negative outlooks to new info.
It is nice when one can prove themselves correct (or innocent) but that is not how it works,
Being resistant to blindly accept wild unsubstantiated claims is hardly "having a negative outlook on new information" and as to "not looking things up" If I spent an hour or two researching every idea that gets passed out on this forum by people who should already have done the research I wouldn't have any time to take care of my tanks.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:59 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
your mistaken, that is exactly how science works.
science and law are not the same thing.
how science works is that the person making claims, predictions or definitive statements have the onus of providing proof upon them, not the other way around.

I could tell you that we are all living in a snow globe owned by a little 4 year old giant in some unknown galaxy and if you don't believe me, oh well, not my problem, it's up to you to prove me wrong.

If a person makes the claim "chemi-pure doesn't work in salt water" it is up to them to prove and validate the statement.
it is not my responsibility to research it, it is his to provide substantiating evidence, which seems to have ultimately been given reluctantly and delivered with a condescending attitude.

very rarely if ever in the world of science and academia is research carried out to disprove something, that's just silly.

any and every time I have made/make statements such as this, I provide my source material before I'm even asked or I make it very clear it is opinion.
it really isn't that difficult.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:13 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Being resistant to blindly accept wild unsubstantiated claims is hardly "having a negative outlook on new information" and as to "not looking things up" If I spent an hour or two researching every idea that gets passed out on this forum by people who should already have done the research I wouldn't have any time to take care of my tanks.
Not to be argumentative (really) but no one has provided one shred of info to dipute the comment RJ made and Paul questioned?
Yet as usaull it seems many don't want to hear what is being said?
Possibly by how it is phrased but being a touch sensitive myself I still found my way to informed info in under 10 minutes?
11,000+ post sounds like you have time ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer James View Post

I believe Randy Holmes-Farley have responded to a few of the fourm discussions on it. I'd google "Randy Holmes-Farley and Chemipure don't work in seawater" Maybe include Ion Exchange Resin.
It was pretty easy since we were all given search criteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer James View Post
If you guys don't feel enlightened don't do the research haha. It's not my job to do your research. At this point I think I have explained it. If you want the science behind it you are enlightened and need to do some additional research on your own... After elementary school it's the students job to learn not the professors to teach. So you have the topic of research now..

I am encouraging you to read Randys responses or do additional research on ion exchange. I'm sorry I have other ways to utilize my time than provide links on research I've already completed in the past. It's not that I wouldn't love to have everything book marked and be able to provide top job acrediations, it just I don't want to take the time to haha. I've already done my part by letting the forms know that this is actually an issue and topic of discussion for reef aquaria and I am not the only one preaching it.

Source: Water Treatment and Purification - Lenntech data sheets
I'm back on the teacher thing?
Thank yours if you ever see them again as it would appear no thanks will come to the bearer of this info seemingly no one was aware of?

It seems a shame we all let pride or whatever get in the way of receiving new info.
How is it we find time to question the education,background and whatever ,of a poster but not the info actually being discussed.?
I like a good debate also but there is a difference between that and a witch hunt IMO.
I like to debate but I usually try to make my decision through research and education,not the I don't have time to research/debate (argue) with you so I am right mentality?
Again this is not to be argumentative but to hopefully not lose what appears to be a fresh good source of info to this site.
This is an interesting debate
Old 07-14-2015, 12:56 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Not to be argumentative (really) but no one has provided one shred of info to dipute the comment RJ made and Paul questioned?
Yet as usaull it seems many don't want to hear what is being said?
Possibly by how it is phrased but being a touch sensitive myself I still found my way to informed info in under 10 minutes?
11,000+ post sounds like you have time ?
Yes, and with those 11,000 posts I can't even begin to count the number of times people have tried to pass off information as fact with nothing but their opinion and their word to back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit
It was pretty easy since we were all given search criteria?
I read the suggested information including what you posted but yet there is still nothing to confirm whether or not it will work. Just a load of speculation and a walkthrough on the mechanism of ion exchange.

I'm back on the teacher thing?
Thank yours if you ever see them again as it would appear no thanks will come to the bearer of this info seemingly no one was aware of?
Quote:
It seems a shame we all let pride or whatever get in the way of receiving new info.
It's not pride. It's skepticism. Spending 2 minutes browsing facebook should teach any single person how important that is.

Quote:
How is it we find time to question the education,background and whatever ,of a poster but not the info actually being discussed.?
We have asked repeatedly for some source substantiating the information presented. There's absolutely no debate present when the only real response from the person presenting the material is "I know i'm right go look it up"

Quote:
I like to debate but I usually try to make my decision through research and education,not the I don't have time to research/debate (argue) with you so I am right mentality?
Back to what PB_smith eloquently stated "how science works is that the person making claims, predictions or definitive statements have the onus of providing proof upon them, not the other way around."
Old 07-14-2015, 01:09 AM   #40

Quote:
We have asked repeatedly for some source substantiating the information presented. There's absolutely no debate present when the only real response from the person presenting the material is "I know i'm right go look it up"
I think you have a few at this point. And I posted a direct quote about ion exchange. So careful man...

I'm sure if it was Sniperhank posting "Chemipure contains resins that do not function efficiently in saltwater, and some do not even do what they claim."there would not be as much crap headed his way as there is mine. But I guess for some reason I have the reputation of posting false information? Or do people just not want me to be correct?

We're all spending our times posting on forums because we love the hobby. Why argue with me. Just expand your own knowledge and find I am talking about something you may not of even known about.

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com