get rid of copper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pufferman

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have to get rid of the copper in my tank, should i replace the tank or just use cuprisorb to get rid of much as i can. i want to eventually go reef. i think that getting a new tank will let me upgrade to a larger tank for a reef. And also if i upgrade how do i spend the least money to do the job and still make it look great. i have an Eheim canister filter, will this work for a reef aquarium. thanks

P-MAN

well if your tank has been treated with copper, or even the presence of copper, you can hang up having inverts in your tank. you are gonna be better off getting a new tank, and building it from there.

I have 2 tanks a 29g and a 40g, on both my tanks i have taken extra precautions to ensure quality water and lighting for them. I have a sump/fuge on each tank, skimmers and Mh lighting. Most people say that a small tank does not really need it, but i like it for my water quality. As for the eheim filter, ill have to watch the thread, no experience there, but my best guess would to get a sump/fuge as well as a good skimmer.

To cheat on your water quality is a cause for disaster IMO.

Pyxis said:
well if your tank has been treated with copper, or even the presence of copper, you can hang up having inverts in your tank. you are gonna be better off getting a new tank, and building it from there.

I've put copper in my tank before, but a recent water test at my lfs doesn't detect any anymore. I figured I'd test it on a snail.

Copper will absorb into anything porous and leach out over time. You might notice the silicone in your tank will change colors when you add copper. Back when I was a total noob (im only a partial noob now) I treated my tank twice with copper on two seperate occasions. About a year later I added some inverts to the tank with no problems.

yeah i havent treated copper in it for about six months now
if i do test it on a snail how do i know if its dead. and the silicone on my tank hasnt changed color except for the algae on it, does this mean that i have significant amounts or are they just little. i have a copper test kit and the levels are barely there, i will test it again today. I think cuprisorb had a significant influence in erradicating the copper because when i first tested it at the LFS it was around 3, now when i test it is around 0.5-0.75. i also am concerned if my CC substrate could absorb any copper. how much is a 30 gallon tank on its own. i would think around 15-20 bucks.

thanks.

P-MAN

i tested the copper and it didnt detect any thing. the cuprisorb has been in the tank for about three or four months now. i think it did its work.

P-MAN

wow pufferman where do you get your tanks for that cheap??? when i was checking out 30Gs the cheapest i could find at a LFS was like $40!!

i get them at petco and at my lfs.

lol

fourty bucks for a thirty gallon tank???

thats wow for me.

P-MAN

i tested my water today for copper and it was zero even after i cleaned the tank and stirred my CC substrate. i will add some inexpensive turbo snails and see what happens, if they die then i have copper, if they live then my tank is safe. I have been using cuprisorb to get rid of the copper for about three or four months now. i think i m safe to put inverts, but better safe than sorry.

good plan????

P-MAN

This morning i found my domino dead, and last week my turbo snails recently croked as well.... Im going to check the copper level as well when i get home, if the levels are correct is there anything else that could be causing this?
thanks for the help

Snails wont tolerate any copper, so thats probably why they died. The domino is pretty tuff, so if the copper did him in then your levels might be too high.

Back
Top Bottom