Getting a bunch of fish today.. let me know what you think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonnypro

Aquarium Advice Freak
lets start out by letting you know about my tank.. it is a 135g with a 55g sump.. i have 2 clowns,2 algae blennies engiener goby yellow tang spotted fox face,2 blue chromes spotted box fish,green long tip anemone, green star polyps, blue tux urchin, and a few inverts.. I want schooling fish and i was going to go with green chromies... the thing is they are cheap... i am getting 4 for 12.. the guy at the lfs said to put a plastic mirror where they are for a few days to curve there aggression..i am also looking to possibly getting a hippo tang,fire fish,sail fin tang naso tang yellow pyramid butterfly fish cleaner wrassel.. longhorn cowfish,midas blenny,flaming angle fish... not all at the same time but what do you guys think??

That tank is big enough for pretty much anything you want !!!! If you add tangs add the peaceful one first like the blue tang amd the aggressive fish at the end

That tank is big enough for pretty much anything you want !!!! If you add tangs add the peaceful one first like the blue tang amd the aggressive fish at the end

but has anyone had any experience with green chromies? my buddy said that i might need a predator in the tank like a rockfish in order for them to school... He said they school because of a predator in the tank.. then the guy at the lfs said they will school without a predator in the tank because they see us on the outside at a predator .. ?? i was ably looking to have like 3 tangs..

If you overstock the tank you'll struggle keeping everything healthy. A hippos recommended tank is 180g.... At first it won't be an issue but if you can keep them alive long enough for them to reach adult size, there won't be enough room... Just my opinion.

lets start out by letting you know about my tank.. it is a 135g with a 55g sump.. i have 2 clowns,2 algae blennies engiener goby yellow tang spotted fox face,2 blue chromes spotted box fish,green long tip anemone, green star polyps, blue tux urchin, and a few inverts.. I want schooling fish and i was going to go with green chromies... the thing is they are cheap... i am getting 4 for 12.. the guy at the lfs said to put a plastic mirror where they are for a few days to curve there aggression..i am also looking to possibly getting a hippo tang,fire fish,sail fin tang naso tang yellow pyramid butterfly fish cleaner wrassel.. longhorn cowfish,midas blenny,flaming angle fish... not all at the same time but what do you guys think??

You could maybe add 1 more tang if the tank is 6 feet. I wouldn't add the butterfly, cowfish or naso tang. The blenny, firefish and angel should be fine. Make sure the cleaner wrasse is eating as well. So I'd add 5 more fish and call it stocked. You already have 10 fish, add 5 an you'll have 15. Oh plus the 4 more chromis gives you 19. That's a lot for a 135 IMO. I'd probably just skip any more big fish and add the smaller ones. An overstocked tank always leads to problems and that tank really isn't gigantic.

but has anyone had any experience with green chromies? my buddy said that i might need a predator in the tank like a rockfish in order for them to school... He said they school because of a predator in the tank.. then the guy at the lfs said they will school without a predator in the tank because they see us on the outside at a predator .. ?? i was ably looking to have like 3 tangs..

A predator will eat them lol not make them school... You really need a ton to make them school. They are found in huge groups on the reef not 4 or 5. More like 50-60.

I agree with the above, you are looking to add too many big fish. The smaller ones are no problems. A 135 gallon isn't a small tank but it has it's limits.

Getting fish to school in an aquarium is difficult. Schooling behavior seems to break down in confined quarters. I have seen problems getting fish to school in +500 gallon aquariums. Chromis are fine fish, but in quantity they seem to die off one by one until just a few are left.

Green chromis schooled in my tank for about two days, because of my huge snowflake eel. But then they were all gone the next week. So if you do get a predator make sure that the chromis will not fit in his mouth.

A school of chronic are always really nice to watch , you do not need a predator just like the other said they will e food , if your doing reef tank keep everything as peaceful as possible , your chromis will school on their own

my 2 school great in my 125 and theres no predators. besides what does it really matter? the chromis is a great bright addition to any tank. wheather they school or not, they are an insanely active fish and will liven up any tank.

Ok so I got a few fish today. I got 12 chromies but when I got home I double checked and there was only 11. 1 cleaner rasp a Black Sea slug of some sort. 4 fire fish a cleaner wrassle. And there was another fish I forgot the name of. Also got 3 clown loaches for my fresh tank. Guess what I paid for all of them ..? ..

Back
Top Bottom