Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
Yeah I didn't think it would work lol...Just an idea. heh heh.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:18 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Heh, I went though about fifty ideas before I settled on one. And then I redid that one a couple of times.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:24 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
Well I got my tank and stand. Here are a couple pics. I'm going to have to modify the stand a little to get my sump to fit. But it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:12 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Sweet tank you got there!

Tagging along as I'm starting to make my own 110G reef Maybe I can learn something from your setup
Old 10-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A couple nights ago I attepted to make my overflow. I was going to do a dual overflow but decided not to because I'm going to do a closed loop. I used c-clamps and a flat bar to hold the plexi to a table at the point I wanted the acrylic to bend. I used a torch to heat the acrylic and slowly applied pressure to curve it into shape.

The problems I had with this - the torch left burn marks on the acrylic. And if you bend it too fast, or without heating it up enough , the plexi will crack. I had a small fracture on one end of the overflow that I filled with epoxy. so no biggy. Anywho, I will probobly just go get more acrylic and see if I can do it better the second time around.

So, I'm going to have a single overflow in the middle, and 2 returns from it hanging over the top of the tank. One on each side of the tank. Then I will set up a closed loop with 2 intakes with strainers, and then have that go into 4 returns that will be drilled through the glass. 2 on each side.

Here is a crude drawing of how it will kind of be layed out.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:40 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Use flex pipe wherever possible and stay away from the elbows. I used the spa stuff that glues into pvc easily.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank, I'll keep that in mind. I've been planning on using the PVC hose.It's very flexable and sturdy.

The only place I am planning on having a problem is the overflow pipe coming out the back of the tank. If I was coming out the bottome of the tank, I woulnd't have a problem. But I am going to have to use a 90 when I come out of the back, unless you or somebody else has a better suggest. I'd appreciate it.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

Oh yeah. Out the back. 90 degree elbow. I see now.

Anyway, this is the stuff I'm talking about. Glues right into gate valves, elbows, whatever. It's the black hoses. One across the back. That's a return to the sump/fuge. The other is the output for the skimmer before it goes into the sump/fuge. Hadn't done it yet, but the "T" you see still had to get the hoses glues into'm. Ended uup with white hose there.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cool man, I'll have to do that.

Another question I have is what bulkheads to buy? I was going to order them from www.customaquatics.com but I can't figure out which ones I need.

I need 4 of them that use like a 1" pipe and 3 or them that use a 2" pipe. Can somebody help me with a link of which ones I should use. There seems to be a lot of different styles.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

You know the size already right? You mean whether to get threaded or unthreaded/slip. And on which side.

Not sure how to answer you on that one. Where are you using them? Bulkeads for the drilled overflow in the back?

Try this...

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_..._strainers.asp

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com