Getting clear water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, I am startin to set up my new 29 gallon. I put in the sand (using a sugar-fin argonite) and added the saltwater. I have been runnin some filters (not the filters that will be on the tank) for about 12 hours now, but visibility in the tank is still minimal. If I turn hte filters off, visibility increases dramatically fairly fast, but it is the super-fine particles that are filtering out to the top of the substrate, and once I turn hte filters back on, they are stirred back up.

Are there any tricks I can do to speed up the process of filtering them out?

On my 10 gallon, I was able to place paper towels in the filter box and that filtered out the super-fine sand particles, but that will mess up the filters that are currently on use on this tank :/

If you have an estra canister filter laying around you can try running that with new media and filter pads in it. I am not sure it is worth the trouble of setting up. As Mike mentioned, this is normal and it will take a feww days for the dust storm to settle.

ok thanks :) dont have much of a rush on it, I will not start transferrin live rock or anythign until I have the lighting and powerheads for it.

Will I need a protein skimmer right away, or can that wait a month or two? At the start, I will be short on live rock, I wont be getting all the new LR right away, will be startin with the 20lbs I have in my 10 gallon, and getting a few lbs every week or two until I have aboubt 50lbs

30lbs at 6 bucks a lb aint cheap :p

I'm with you on that one Melosu!!! I have recently been buying every piece of dry "Live Rock" I can get my hands on. One of the LFS I deal with gets a lot of it in and it sells for 1.99 a lb. I'm curing it myself.

Jarred Darque said:
Will I need a protein skimmer right away, or can that wait a month or two?
If you can get one, do it. The sooner the better. If not, I would recommend using GAC regularly, at least until you have a skimmer going.

ah gothcha. The LR I get at the price is already cured though. LFS near me. I had virtually no cycle time when I set up my 10 gallon tank

Back
Top Bottom