Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

getting my fish VERY soon and need some advice...

i've been cycling my 40 gal aquarium for close to 2 weeks and added about 20 lbs of live rocks and branches. i think i'm ready to get some fish now.

i am planning to get a percula clown and a black and white percula clown. i've been reading that the clown fishes really like having corals around - but would they be happy without any Anemones or corals?

and just a few basic q's - how often do i feed the fish? how long do i leave the light on? and should i leave it on during the evening or when i sleep?

thanks.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clownfish can live happily without an anemone or coral around.
I feed my fish every day small meals but it's ok to feed every other day.
My lights are on 12hrs a day but 10hrs is fine, and no don't leave the lights on while you sleep. Fish gotta rest too.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you checked the Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? You should be sure your cycle is complete before adding the fish or it will be a quick death. I feed every other day. I leave lights on 10-12 hrs. Unless you add corals lights are not a big issue. The flame hawkfish is a awesome fish. I sold mine last week. If you plan on having shrimp do not get a hawk. HTH
Old 11-07-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks for the replies.

so basically it would be ok to leave the lights on the whole day and then turn them off when i go to sleep, right? do i still have to leave the lights on when it is bright in the house?

i did bring some water to the lfs and the guy told me everything was good.
Clean-up Crew: 2 snails, 1 crab
proverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
so basically it would be ok to leave the lights on the whole day and then turn them off when i go to sleep, right?
Just get a timer at wal-mart so you do not have to remember about turning your ights on or off.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

i will definately get the timer.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I would not mix 2 different species of clownfish. You can purchase 2 small clowns of the same type and they will pair up.

As far as when and how long to leave the lighting on is up to you. 10-12 hours is what most people do. Now you can choose when they would go on and when they should go off. If you prefer to have the aquarium lit up at night then adjust the lighting schedule to your preference.

I personally feed my tank daily. HTH
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonForce
I would not mix 2 different species of clownfish. You can purchase 2 small clowns of the same type and they will pair up.

As far as when and how long to leave the lighting on is up to you. 10-12 hours is what most people do. Now you can choose when they would go on and when they should go off. If you prefer to have the aquarium lit up at night then adjust the lighting schedule to your preference.

I personally feed my tank daily. HTH
i read on saltwaterfish.com that the black and white one is very peaceful and the percula is moderatley aggresive, so i thought it would be ok.
and should i get the snails and hermit crabs before i get the fish, at the same time or after?

thanks.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Well, they will be much happier together and will pair up and even mate in your aquarium.

And I personally did snails and hermits before fish.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:26 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since you are ordering online, it would be costly to order twice so I would just get the crabs and snails at the same time. Also, personally, I'd get either two orange or two black clowns but the clowns in question are both aquacultured percula clowns (amphiprion ocellaris), just different color phases. I really don't see why they wouldn't work together.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com